Adding second SATA harddrive to Dell 8400

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Adding second SATA harddrive to Dell 8400

This question is not answered

I have a Dell SATA 8400. It came with a 250g SATA harddrive. After a couple of years, the drive failed and I replaced it with the same size harddrive. AT first I had trouble getting the machine to recognize the drive. Didn't realize I had to load some drivers. Do to my learning curve, I ended up doing a clean install. I only mention this because the drive is set up however windows XP Pro set it up. Today I added a second SATA harddrive. It is 1 Terabyte. I hooked it up. It doesn't show up in My Computer. I tried adding the jumper. It is a 3Gb/sec. Thought it might be a 1.5gb/sec. Doesn't recognize it then either. Do I need to change something in CMOS? It the size too big for XP?

Whether the drive is jumpered or not, the pc boots up OK.

Thanks.

All Replies
  • Enter "Setup" F2 at Dell screen.  Highlght "Drives, press Enter, turn ON next avalible SATA port and exit saving settings.

SATA 0= primariy boot drive

SATA 1= CD/DVD drive

SATA 2= ? second CD/DVD or second Hardrive

XPS 410  Core2,  2.4 Ghz,   8Gb,  Win7 64

Latitude D610  XP pro,  Win7 RC

• kev914

Enter the setup and check that the drive is set to "Auto" [Enabled], after this the hard drive needs to be partitioned and formatted, using XP Disk Management.

Dimension 8400 System Setup

These are generic instructions for installing an additional hard drive using Windows XP Disk Management, they are by Seagate, but apply to all brands.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks. The drive is a Seagate. Would you know if I need to jumper it or not. Couldn't find anything in the manual to tell me if it was capable of 3gb/sec or if I needed to jumper it for 1.5 gb/sec.

Not sure how the forum works exactly yet either. I was going to respond to both posts. Wasn't sure if I reply to my own post or two the last post. In any case, I think my dvd drives are IDE.

Thanks again.

• Hi Kev

The Dell 8400 system can only recognize upto 400GB of HDD any thing above that will not be detected. You can get 1TB External HDD if you need more space.

Regards

~ Ratz

1. Is the drive identified in the bios by model number?  If it is, then we got to step #2.
    2. In windows, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management
    3. If the disk is Seen it will be listed as DISK 1, right click the Disk 1 tab and INITIALIZE the drive.  Once initialized, then format it NTFS and it will be assigned drive letter D:

Donald Kempf

Inspiron E1505 /XPS 10 Windows 8

Dimension 8400 Windows XP/Vista/8

#IWork4Dell

• kev914

Thanks. The drive is a Seagate. Would you know if I need to jumper it or not. Couldn't find anything in the manual to tell me if it was capable of 3gb/sec or if I needed to jumper it for 1.5 gb/sec.

Not sure how the forum works exactly yet either. I was going to respond to both posts. Wasn't sure if I reply to my own post or two the last post. In any case, I think my dvd drives are IDE.

Thanks again.

kev914

I'm running two 500gb SATA II [3gb] hard drives in my 8400 without the jumpers and have no problems.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• dhanrajc

Hi Kev

The Dell 8400 system can only recognize upto 400GB of HDD any thing above that will not be detected. You can get 1TB External HDD if you need more space.

Regards

~ Ratz

That's strange, I'm running two 500gb SATA II hard drives in my 8400, the PC recognizes each HD has 476+gb.    Wink 

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• It recommened to have upto 400 GB. But thanks for the info that 8400 works with 500GB -

Good to know that

~ Ratz

• Thanks. The drive doesn't show in CMOS and all the SATA (what ever they are called) are set to autodetect and are on (by default). So I guess the drive is too big. Guess I should have posted here first before I bought it. Will that drive work in any of the newer Dell pcs?

Thanks.

• kev914

Yes, Dell is selling new desktops with 1tb SATA hard drives.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops_great_deals/fs.aspx?refid=desktops_great_deals&s=dhs&cs=19

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001