Buzzing noise from my Dell Dimension

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Buzzing noise from my Dell Dimension

This question has suggested answer(s)

Anyone know why my Dimension is making a buzzing noise when I boot it up. It happens immediately upon boot and I don't get a display screen so there are no messages. The processor fan is running and that's it.

I tried unplugging everything (k/b, mouse, monitor, etc), I checked to make sure the memory and hard drive are seated properly and they are. This isn't a POST-like beep - this is a buzz like I have never heard before. It buzzes about 5-6 times and then stops. It was dusty around the processor fan so I cleaned it thinking maybe that was it. Any ideas what causes this buzzing noise????

All Replies
  • See my response to your identical post in the Audio section.   (But this was the correct forum to post).

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thanks for your reply Fireberd. I realized I mistakenly posted to "audio" - whoops! This isn't a buzzing from something loose. This is a diliberate error noise coming from the board. Similar to a beep you would get if POST has an error, except instead of a beep this is a loud buzz that sounds like when a dryer cycle completes. It makes this buzzing noise about 5-6 times and stops. I'm sure it's telling me something is wrong, but I don't know what. 

• The only thing "electronic" on the board would be the small speaker for the Diagnostic beeps. 

Open the case before you boot up and maybe you can tell where it's coming from.  A hard drive head crash could be one thing or a bad bearing in the hard drive and after it spins up for a while it goes away.  There are two fans, the CPU fan and the fan in the power supply.  The only other "moving" part is the CD/DVD drives.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• I hear what  you're saying. I thought the same thing. I opened the case and put my ear to board to see if I could identify the sound, but I can't pinpoint it. I am familiar with the typical diag beeps, but I have never heard a sound like this buzzing before. Very strange. Thanks for the feedback!

• Did you ever figure this out?  This exact thing just started happening to my Dimension 5150.  It buzzes 6 times and then nothing else happens.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• My result was strange and probably won't help but here's what happened:

I discovered that if I unplugged the connection between the power supply and the motherboard (the white 20-pin or so connector) and unplugged it for a good 10 seconds and then plug it back in it worked for about two weeks. I repeated this every couple of weeks for a couple months.

A couple of friends suggested that I swap out my power supply so I did. When I booted the first time with the new power supply it did the buzzing thing again, which was just amazing to me. Even worse, when I booted it again I somehow crashed my OS (Vista) and had to reload it. A buddy of mine said the new power supply was bad. He reloaded the OS and used the original power supply. The buzzing thing went away and my PC has been fine for the past few weeks. I really don't know why.

Side note - My buddy reloaded it from Vista Home to Vista Business and I have to frequently reboot because it freezes. I can't move the mouse, keyboard is inactive - NOTHING WORKS! I hate Vista!