Can't Switch Between Flat Panel Monitor DVI and VGA Ports

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Can't Switch Between Flat Panel Monitor DVI and VGA Ports

This question is not answered

I accidentally posted in the Audio forum, sorry.

How can I switch between DVI and VGA ports on my Dell 1907FP flat panel monitor (s/n CN-0CC299-64180-63H-0DGS, rev A00)?

It's normally connected using the DVI port to my E510 running XP Pro and works fine.  I have an old Dell OptiPlex GX-110 running Ubuntu Linux.  This computer only has a VGA port, and works fine when connected to another Dell 19" flat panel monitor.

When I connect the GX-110 to the 1907FP, the monitor doesn't recognize the computer.  The vertical color bar display normally seen when nothing is connected is visible.  I disconnected the DVI cable, and used the same VGA cable that was used to connect to the other monitor.  Do i need to instruct the monitor to use the other port, or is the monitor defective?

Another question - is it possible to determine the monitor part number looking at the sales invoice?  Both monitors only list Dell and just have a sticker with the serial number.

Thanks, Jim

All Replies
  • After some experimenting, I discovered that you can switch, but use only one cable, either DVI or VGA.  I had problems when both cables were connected to the monitor.  Also, I could not use two monitors by connecting one to the video card DVI port and the other to the VGA port.

Jim