Dimension 5150 Won't Boot Unless CMOS Battery is Reseated (Blinking Amber Lights)

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dimension 5150 Won't Boot Unless CMOS Battery is Reseated (Blinking Amber Lights)

This question is not answered

I've got a problematic Dimension 5150 that randomly refuses to boot up.  When it does this, I'll get a flashing amber light (which seems to plague this Dimension model) on the front of the tower after pushing the power button and all drives and fans are silent.

After some trial and error, I've found that removing the battery from the motherboard and reseating it will usually allow the system to boot again.  It starts up with the same flashing orange light after doing this, but then boots up afterwards.

Any ideas what the problem might be here and if there's a long-term fix?  I have suspected that it may be related to the onboard USB ports.  I seem to remember reading that boot issues stemming from USB shorts were more common on the 5150 than other systems, and the front ports on this system are used frequently.  At this point, it seems like the most likely explaination, but I'm not sure of a fix.  Is there a way to just completely disable or disconnect the front USB ports to see if the problem goes away?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

All Replies