Adding 2nd HDD in Inspiron 537 - How??

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Adding 2nd HDD in Inspiron 537 - How??

This question is not answered

Ok, I've tried a variety of searches and manuals and can't seem to find any info on adding a second hard drive to my 537 MT.  Could somebody point me in the right direction?  Thanks.

All Replies
  • blackadder_tx,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum.

Please give more information when posting a question. It helps others to give specific answers instead of general info.

What operating system are you using? Vista, Windows 7, or ?

Also any other basic info, even if it doesn't seem relevant to the question. Approx age of computer, hard drive size, RAM, etc. 

Buy or order a SATA cable when you get your hard drive, they usually don't come with one.

I'll guess your OS is Vista.

Your computers manual:

Dell manual for the Inspiron 537MT. This is a good time to download these manuals for future reference.

Dell Manual for Hard drive remove and Replace

Find your mother board layout in your manual and note the SATA port connector you plug your new hard drive into, you will need it later to switch it on in BIOS.

Install you new hard drive as per the manual instructions.

Your computer may recgnize the new hard drive on it's own, if it doesn't you'll have to do it manually in BIOS. Start your computer, go to BIOS, press F2 repeatedly when you see the Dell Logo screen. If you miss it re-start the computer and try again. In the 'Main' section select the SATA port where you installed the hard drive and turn it on.

This site is for formatting and setup of an external hard drive, the procedure for an internal is the same.

Vista External Drive Formatting and Setup.

Some other information from Seagate on installation.

How To Install and Troubleshoot Serial ATA (SATA) Hard Drives

Seagate hard drive installation guide, I just picked one from their list, you can find another one or check the new HD manufacturers website. The procedure will be similar.

If you do get a seagate HD, seagates 'DiscWizard' is a smaller version of Acronis backup and restore image program and is free if you have a seagate or Maxtor hard drive. Check on their website and you'll find it. 

If you have any other questions just reply here.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Dave

Inspiron 530s, Intel Core2 E7200, 6 GB DDR2 800MHz, 500GB SATA II 7200RPM, 22" Widescreen LCD w/2 MP Webcam,Radeon HD4650, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit,  eSATA port 

Studio Laptop 1737, Intel Core2 Duo T6400 800MHz , 4GB DDR2 memory 800MHz, Intel X25-V 40GB SSD, 320GB SATA II,17" WXGA w/2.0-megl webcam, Facial recognition, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Vista Premium 64-bit,  eSATA port,  9-cell battery 
    External HDD: A.C.Ryan w/500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II 7200RPM w/eSATA, WD My Book 500GB 7200RPM w/USB
    Custom Rig, i5-750, Gigabyte UD4P, Intel X25M 120GB SSD, 8GB Corsair Venegance CL8, XFX HD 5770, Corsair HX 650 PSU, 1TB and 500GB HDDs. Win7 Ultimate 64bit.
  • I should have known to add more detail.  I'll remember that in the future.

The machine is a newly purchased refurb Inspiron 537.  Vista is the OS.  500 Gb HDD.  4 Gigs of RAM.  2.8 Ghz Core Duo Intel processor.  CD Rom drive. 

What I would like to to is add a second 500 Gb HDD to the system.  It is a drive out of my Dell Dimension E518 that just died.  In the Dimension the drives were mounted in plastic 'carriers' I guess would be the word.  The carriers slid into rails mounted in the tower.  There are no such rails in the Inspiron MT.  I've got emply drive bays but can't figure out how to get in there and actually mount the second drive.  I assume I'll have to use screws - somewhere. 

The manuals I can find - including the ones you suggested show how to remove the drive that is currently installed and re-install or replace it but I find nothing on 'here is how you add another drive to this box'.  I'm not a computer tech but I've added drives to machines before. 

So mainly I'm looking for some specific 'this is what you need to do' type info around adding components - HDD in this case - to a 537 MT. 

Does that help?

• blackadder_tx,

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were a noob. But, you gotta admit if you read your first post, it was a fairly safe assumption. "can't seem to find any info on adding a second hard drive to my 537 MT" . Now, your second post is more informative.

Is there any kind of tray or support for the HD that's in there now? For my Studio 1737 laptop I will have to buy the tray from Dell when I add a second HD. Don't remember what my 530 HD mounts look like. Will take a look later and reply if there are any clues, the cases should be similar. I've read before that people have had problems finding the right screws for a HD installation. 

You might try putting in a new post with a title something like "HDD mounting tray and screws for 537MT?" , someone on this forum with the same or similar box will likely answer that quickly.  Might be worth a shot. Better if you add your computer info like in your second post, you'll more than likely get a fast answer.

Hope this helps, I'll do some more checking around later and let you know if I find anything.

Regards,

Dave

Inspiron 530s, Intel Core2 E7200, 6 GB DDR2 800MHz, 500GB SATA II 7200RPM, 22" Widescreen LCD w/2 MP Webcam,Radeon HD4650, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit,  eSATA port 

Studio Laptop 1737, Intel Core2 Duo T6400 800MHz , 4GB DDR2 memory 800MHz, Intel X25-V 40GB SSD, 320GB SATA II,17" WXGA w/2.0-megl webcam, Facial recognition, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Vista Premium 64-bit,  eSATA port,  9-cell battery 
    External HDD: A.C.Ryan w/500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II 7200RPM w/eSATA, WD My Book 500GB 7200RPM w/USB
    Custom Rig, i5-750, Gigabyte UD4P, Intel X25M 120GB SSD, 8GB Corsair Venegance CL8, XFX HD 5770, Corsair HX 650 PSU, 1TB and 500GB HDDs. Win7 Ultimate 64bit.
  • Dave,

No problem.  The original post was definitely lacking in detail.  I'll see if I can find anything on a mounting tray for the 537.  Appreciate the help.

John

• I also have an Inspiron 537, and would like to add a 2nd HDD. The manual only describes how to replace an existing HDD, and it appears that there are only 2 SATA ports on the motherboard, one is used for the master (boot) HDD, and one is used for the CD/DVD drive. So am I correct to assume that I will need to add a SATA controller card in order to add a 2nd HDD? If so, which brand/model will work with my 537?  I am running Vista-64 which came with the system.

thanks,

-John H.

• I ordered a Vantec SATA II pci card in order to add a second HDD.  If it works well I'll let you know.  I ordered a pci card because my graphics card fan blocks the pci-e slot.  The SATA II card for pci-e is supposed to transfer data about twice as fast (3.0 vs 1.5 gb/s.)

• How did your Vantec SATA II PCI card work out?

thanks,

• Did you ever get your hard drive to install?  I just purchased a hard drive without looking at the motherboard figuring I'd just be able to plug it in and go.

Weird that there are actually spots on the motherboard that say SATA 2 and SATA 3 but there are no ports there.  I don't have the know-how, but I wonder if it's possible to solder ports there.  Otherwise why are there markings there.

•  madphoenix

The Inspiron 535/537 only supports two SATA devices and it's not possible to add additional SATA ports on the motherboard, you would need to install a PCI SATA controller card.

See HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thank you for the post and link!  Time to get a PCI SATA card.

•  madphoenix

You are welcome.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell