Maximum cpu upgrade for Optiplex GX620 USFF ?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Maximum cpu upgrade for Optiplex GX620 USFF ?

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi, does anyone know if an Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition 840 will work in a GX620 ultra small form factor?  I have one from a pull from a dead Precision 380.  If not, would it work in a GX620 minitower (bigger heatsink, etc)?  Thanks in advance.  Here's a link to the processor: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL8FK#

All Replies
  • Hi neat little machines i got 5 of them..i can only say as to the usff vertion,that they will only support up to a 3.4ghz p4 or a 2.8ghz pD,all thow ive heard a 3ghz pD will work but i can't varify it...

Smile Dell Optiplex 755 USFF 4Gig Ram,500 Gig HD,E-8400 C2D Cpu,AIO Monitor Dell 2007wfp

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit.

• SmileJust an update ,it looks like some people are able to get a pentium d 3.4 to work in the usff,i myself have bought a pd945 not sure if this cpu will work but will up date on this as soon as ive tried it.

If anyone has more info please add to this..

Smile Dell Optiplex 755 USFF 4Gig Ram,500 Gig HD,E-8400 C2D Cpu,AIO Monitor Dell 2007wfp

• SmileJust a quick update ,the processor -pentium d 3.4 ghz 945 worked in the gx620 usff with bios a11...that is max for this machine the 3.6 and higher won't work.

• My 945-SL9QQ Bios A11 didn't start.  No diagnostic light just fan.

• None of the High end CPUs will workon usff because the POWER SUPPLY is too small and the faster cpu's used the Copper block heatpipe heatsink

not the aluminum one.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• It is the copper block heatpipe heat sink.  

• Better Heatsink does not make a 150 to 180W power supply suddenly provide 375W of power.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• The processor is 93W not so high

• i have a pentium d 950 3.4ghz and it works fine. i wonder f the 960 works? and also the pentium e. i have a e5400. will it work anyone? thanks in advance

• That's a Wolfdale CPU and it won't work in the GX620.

• thanks. i knew it at the back of my mind. but i was just hoping. :-(

• I hear even the old E6300 (Conroe) is not compatible with the GX620.

I'm planning on finding this out for myself.