Cannot turn on RAID on Vostro 200 desktop

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Cannot turn on RAID on Vostro 200 desktop

This question is not answered

Environment: Vostro 200 desktop (service tag 49DYXF1), BIOS v. 1.0.15, running Win XP Pro SP3, 2 80GB HDs

I am trying to activate the RAID 1 in the BIOS.  I was able to do this on another Dell XPS Studio recently (runing Vista, though), by forcing a driver update to the SATA storage controller (the RAID/AHCI version), rebooting, changing the BIOS setting to RAID, and all was well.  However, that trick doesn't work here - I have been trying to use the drivers from the R158515 package (on the Dell Drivers & Downloads web page, under "SATA Drives", the "Intel - Driver  Applies to: Matrix Storage Manager"), and I choose the "Intel(R) ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller" driver.  After I have updated the driver and switched the BIOS setting, the Windows XP splash screen appears for an instant, then the PC reboots.  Can anyone suggest how to do this, without reinstalling Windows from scratch?  Thanks much for the help.

(One other bit of info - I hope this isn't the problem.  The two interal SATA HDs are both "80GB", but are from different manufacturers.  The current C: drive is a WD drive and the new empty E: drive is a Seagate.  The Seagate is a few bytes bigger, which means there shouldn't be a space problem when the mirroring starts, but I can't even get that far.)

All Replies
  • Really?  No one has ever tried to do this before?