Dimension 4700 processor upgrade choices

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dimension 4700 processor upgrade choices

This question is answered

Hello everyone,

Need some advice on processor upgrade choices for a Dimension 4700 with a Pentium 4. I use this machine primarily to run Cubase 4.5, and an Emu Proteus system and I'm running to the limit of my tracks and sampling. I can't go any further than 12 tracks and that includes three tracks of 48k samples simultaneously. It sounds incredible but it's not quite good enough to accomplish my recording goals. It seems that what I really need is a Quad-Core or even an I7. On my budget that's not going to happen. My budget is $400.00 and that's pushing it. I realize that these specs maybe don't support upgrading to even a Dual-Core, and even if I could how much of a difference would I hear and actually experience in Cubase and Proteus ?

What I would really like to get out of this system is a 24 track machine with as many 48k samples as I need for serious recording, I'd settle for 8 simultaneous samples per song along with the 24 tracks.  Basically it would be 16 normal tracks from Cubase's VST's plus 8 sampled tracks from Proteus.  That would rock !

If a serious processor upgrade is plausible, do I need to upgrade my CPU cooling fan and XP Home to Pro ? Is my only option a faster Pentium 4 ?

Here's the specs:

Number of cores    1 per processor
Number of threads    2 per processor
Name    Intel Pentium 4 530
Code Name    Prescott
Specification    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Package    Socket 775 LGA
Family/Model/Stepping    F.4.1
Extended Family/Model    F.4
Core Stepping    E0
Technology    90 nm
Core Speed    2992.6 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed    15.0 x 199.5 MHz
Rated Bus speed    798.0 MHz
Stock frequency    3000 MHz
Instruction sets    MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
L1 Data cache (per processor)    16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache (per processor)    12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache (per processor)    1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Northbridge    Intel i915P/i915G rev. B1
Southbridge    Intel 82801FB (ICH6) rev. 03
Memory Type    DDR2
Memory Size    4096 MBytes
Memory Frequency    266.0 MHz (3:4)
CAS# Latency (tCL)    4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD)    4 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP)    4 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS)    12 clocks

Mainboard Vendor    Dell Inc.
Mainboard Model    0M3918

BIOS Vendor    Dell Inc.
BIOS Version    A10
BIOS Date    01/04/2006
Memory SPD    
Module 1    DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Nanya Technology
Module 2    DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, unknown brand
Module 3    DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Nanya Technology
Module 4    DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, unknown brand
Software    
Windows Version    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version    9.0c

Verified Answer
  • Heath A 

The 4700 does not support any Dual Core processors.

Any Socket LGA775, P-4 processor 520, 530, 540, 550, 560, 570 with HT Technology, will work.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

All Replies
  • Heath A 

The 4700 does not support any Dual Core processors.

Any Socket LGA775, P-4 processor 520, 530, 540, 550, 560, 570 with HT Technology, will work.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Thanks a million for the reply. So if I want to upgrade let's say to a 570 from the 530 how much difference will it make ?

Heath

• Heath A 

You should see about a 10-15% improvement in speed, using a P-4, 3.80GHz  570 processor, but personally, I don't think it's worth spending the money on upgrading an obsolete 4700, it would better to put it towards buying a new Core 2 Duo, or a Core 2 Quad system.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Thanks once again Bev,

It really pays to ask the right person the right questions. I definitely see a Quad Core in my future. The P-4 it seems will make a perfect enhancement to the entertainment area of the house. My only concern with the P-4 is that it would require installing a newer video card to accommodate a flat screen LCD with HDMI. The type of video card I'm considering is a PCI-Express type. I'm wondering if the motherboard on the P-4 is complaint ? Anyway thanks for all your advice, I think I need to start making a serious shopping list.

Heath A

• Heath A

Thanks once again Bev,

It really pays to ask the right person the right questions. I definitely see a Quad Core in my future. The P-4 it seems will make a perfect enhancement to the entertainment area of the house. My only concern with the P-4 is that it would require installing a newer video card to accommodate a flat screen LCD with HDMI. The type of video card I'm considering is a PCI-Express type. I'm wondering if the motherboard on the P-4 is complaint ? Anyway thanks for all your advice, I think I need to start making a serious shopping list.

Heath A

The 4700 has a PCIe-16x slot -- a Radeon 4550 or 4670 would be a good choice if you want to make it into a home theater PC.

• Thank you very much.

• Heath A

Happy to have helped.    Cool

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Don't forget about the 6** series too which are 64bit processors while the 5** series are 32bit.

620-670 P4 LGA775 will work too.

• So the P4 670 does work in a Dell Dimension 4700? B/c I bought one on eBay and power light on the front of my comp kept blinking orange. The comp wouldn't boot up. What does that mean?

•  JT232007

Prior to installing the processor, did you upgrade the BIOS to the latest version A10, when support for newer processors was added.

A blinking amber power button LED, usually indicates a power supply issue, have you checked that all the power connectors are properly plugged into the motherboard and drives, is the 4-pin power connector connected to the motherboard?

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• My suggestion is a new dual core at least. If you want to spend $400, you can wait some more and buy a new dual core system with a very higher speed. I don't suggest upgrading it. Its only my opinion.  If you sped more and buy a new one, you can be sure that it fits your needs for about five years.

• Yes! My BIOS is the latest version.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the old power supply doesn't have enough power for the P4 670. Do u know what the power requirements are? I did check all the cords and nothing was unplugged nor were they reconnected wrong. As soon as I put the old P4 520 back in the computer booted right up.

Justin

• Thank you 4 your opinion but I love my old Dell. :)

• JT232007

Yes! My BIOS is the latest version.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the old power supply doesn't have enough power for the P4 670. Do u know what the power requirements are? I did check all the cords and nothing was unplugged nor were they reconnected wrong. As soon as I put the old P4 520 back in the computer booted right up.

Justin

JT232007

The default 305w power supply is more than adequate for any processor that you can install in the Dimension 4700

As the 520 works, then it would seem that 670 is not compatible.

Bev

Forum Member since 2001

• K! Unless the person on eBay sold me a dead processor. Anyways, I sent it back to him and got a refund.

If that's the case then why have I read that some people have had success w/ the P4 670 on there Dell Dimension 4700?

Thank you for your feedback!

Justin