How do I find out if my PC supports PCI Express 2.0 x16 ?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

How do I find out if my PC supports PCI Express 2.0 x16 ?

This question is not answered

Hi,

I wish to upgrade my video card (currently a GeForce 7300 LE) so that I can play the highest resolution H.264-encoded videos on my PC. I am planning to buy the following video card (below), but I am not sure if my PC supports PCIe 2.0 x16. How do I find this out ?

EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

My PC is a Dimension 9150 (Dell DXP051). I have not made a single HW change since I bought the PC.

Thanks,

Vijay.

All Replies
  • Hello callmevc,

From what I have read on your system information online, I would say that your rig will not support a PCIe generation 2 card.

You can always view your manual online,  here is your manual for system configuration:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9150/en/sm/techov.htm#wp1053345

And here is your system specifications:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9150/en/sm/specs.htm#wp1053343

You will see:

Expansion Bus

Bus type

PCI 32 bit
    PCI Express x1, x4, and x16

Bus speed

PCI 33 MHz

PCI Express 100 MHz

Bus throughput

PCI Express:

x1 slot bidirectional speed — 500 MB/s

x4 slot bidirectional speed — 2 GB/s

x16 slot bidirectional speed — 8 GB/s

PCI

connectors

three

connector size

120 pins

connector data width (maximum)

32 bits

PCI Express

connector

one x1

connector size

36 pins

1 PCI Express lane

PCI Express

connector

one x4

connector size

98 pins

4 PCI Express lanes

PCI Express

connector

one x16

connector size

164 pins

16 PCI Express lanes

Which basically means that you have a generation 1 ( PCIe - 1) and not a generation 2 card slot.  So you can probably not make

the most out of the card you want.

Best,

Darrell WV

• Your Dimension 9150 (XPS 400) will support a PCI-E16x version 2 card. The motherboard's slot is version1.x but the version 2 cards are backwards compatible.

The main thing you may have to be concerned about are the power connectors. My XPS 410 has a version 1.x slot and it will run a 9800GT version 2 or above. However anything above a 9800GT (e.g. 9800GTX) requires (2) 6pin PCI-E power connectors which I only have 1 with my 375w stock power supply. There is a 4pin molex power connector that you could use with a 4pin molex to 6pin PCI-E adapter which would give you the 2nd 6pin power connector.

Studio XPS 435T/9000 (His)
    Inspiron 1720 (Hers)
    Inspiron 530s (Server)

• I have a similar question, I have a Dell Dimension 410/9200 pc and just bought a Gibabyte 512 HD4550 video card with an ATI Radion chip in it.  I am having trouble with the video card working and I just found out that my pc has a PCI E version 1.1.  Is there any way to upgrade or overcome this issue?

• Repker

I have a similar question, I have a Dell Dimension 410/9200 pc and just bought a Gibabyte 512 HD4550 video card with an ATI Radion chip in it.  I am having trouble with the video card working and I just found out that my pc has a PCI E version 1.1.  Is there any way to upgrade or overcome this issue?

No the only way would be to buy a newer system. All PCIe 2.0 cards are backward compatible so that should not really be an issue. I am running a GT470 in my 1.1 system just fine.

What sort of issues are you seeing with the card? Are you running the latest drivers?

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• I am not getting any video signal at all when I install the card and boot up the system, so it is before the video drivers kick in yet.

• Did you change the bios to auto or pci-e first? Did you plug in any external power connections from the new card to the power supply? Is the monitor plugged into the new card and not the onboard port?

• I don't think the PCI-E 1.1 is the issue. I installed 2 GTX 560ti in an intel board running that version