system is shutting down due to thermal event

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

system is shutting down due to thermal event

This question has suggested answer(s)

Is there anybody who can help me to resolve this problem ?

The system is shutting down automatically and, when starting it again, I have a message telling me the SYSTEM SHUT DOWN DUE TO THERMAL EVENT.

This happens sometimes a few times until the system is working again.

Any solution to this

Thanks for your support

Bernard

All Replies
  • Good Morning Schindou,

Welcome to the Forums.  Two things first, most people never post their Tag number in the open forums because access will be to your personal information, so go into the edit box at the bottom of your post and remove your Tag number.

Second, can you also indicate which machine/model you are referring to, do you have air cooled or H2C cooled, or have you modified your machine with a retail cooling device.

On a general note, if this machine is still under warranty, please do call Tech Support.  They will want you to perform the Dell Diagnostic routine from that program, so you can start that now and see what error codes come up.  This is a time consuming project, but has to be done prior to any Tech Support resolution, just the standard technical analysis that everyone goes through.  You can find Dell Diagnostic on the resource CD or at Dell Support Center.  Mine is on my desk top.

Repost with that additional information and I am sure that there are several people here who can help,

Darrell WV

• Schindou

Is there anybody who can help me to resolve this problem ?

The system is shutting down automatically and, when starting it again, I have a message telling me the SYSTEM SHUT DOWN DUE TO THERMAL EVENT.

This happens sometimes a few times until the system is working again.

Any solution to this

Thanks for your support

Bernard

Schindou

When asking a technical question, it helps to include the computer model and version of windows in the post.   Idea

If you have a desktop system, check out the following:

Have you cleaned the inside of case, fans and the cooling fins of the heatsink of any dust build up recently?

Try opening the computer's case, check that both the processor and chipset heatsinks are still firmly attached to the motherboard.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell