XPS Gen 2 Memory upgrade

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS Gen 2 Memory upgrade

This question has suggested answer(s)

I have an XPS Gen 2 which game with one stick of 1gb RAM. I'd like to up the total to 2gb and keep reading that RAM needs to be installed in pairs. Can I just add one 1gb stick which would then create a pair, or do I need to buy two 1gb sticks, take out the existing one and install those two? Thanks for any advice!

All Replies
  • Hi bmoremu, This link HERE is to your manual. As to your question, Yes. Memory capacities  128-, 256-, 512-, or 1-GB non-ECC. The max memory is 4GB. When you install memory they can be in pairs of 1GB and 512MB, but, you must keep to the same MHZ-DDR2 ram. Or your system will run with the slower ram. The type of ram needed is 400- and 533-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• To which question are you answering 'yes' - I can just buy one 1gb stick to addon to the existing memory or I need to buy two 1gb sticks and replace the existing memory.

Thank you for the manual link.

• To which question are you answering 'yes' - I can just buy one 1gb stick to addon to the existing memory or I need to buy two 1gb sticks and replace the existing memory?

Thank you for the manual link.

• Hi bmoremu, Yes, just add 1GB stick of ram to your existing memory.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• Hi All, I have a XPS Gen 2 and I tried to install 2 x  PC 2 6400 2GB 800Mhz sticks of RAM. But once I installed both the PC wouldn't post. I want to get 4GB of RAM on my XPS Gen 2 running Windows XP. 

has anyone run into this problem and know what the solution is.

If so you can post here or e-mail me at <ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy>

Thank you,

• Hi, I just ran into this issue on a clients XPS gen2 and am wondering if you may have come across a solution. I know you posted in 2009 but I figured Id take a shot and ask anyway. Thank you

• ShaysdaMonk

The XPS G-2 supports 4gb of memory [4 x 1gb modules] 2gb modules are not supported.

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/dimension-g2_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/dimension-xps-generation-2

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev. 

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell