How to Upgrade Graphics Card for XPS 400 Desktop

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

How to Upgrade Graphics Card for XPS 400 Desktop

This question has suggested answer(s)

Looking for recommendations to upgrade my graphics card on my XPS 400 desktop.  Currently have a Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS.

Like to play games like FarCry2 and FallOut 3.  What would be the best upgrade? 

Will I have to change my 375W power supply?

Thanks for Help!

All Replies
  • Welcome to the forums Yes

You're going to need a fairly decent upgrade for those games, which might mean your PSU will struggle?  That depends on what other hardware you have?

Unfortunately though, we can't really make specific recommendations, until we know how much you're willing to spend on a new graphics card Idea

It would also help to know where you're from... but assuming you're in the USA, Newegg are going to the best place to get one.

In the meantime... I provided links to a few graphics cards from Newegg for another forum member with PSU power concerns just yesterday.

They were mainly for various ATI HD4670's - costing just $75 - $80.  One of the cards had a HDMI port, if that would be beneficial to you?

If you can afford more than that, then consider an ATI HD4870. 

But even a standard 4870 might be pushing your PSU to it's limits though, and if you wanted/could afford anything more powerful still, you'll definitely need to splash out on a new PSU as well?

I would think an ATI HD4670 would be powerful enough to run Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 at reasonable/acceptable quality/resolutions though?

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)