Dimension 5000 processor upgrade

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dimension 5000 processor upgrade

This question is not answered

I have a Dimension 5000 with an Intel LGA775 socket and a Pentium 4 HT (hyper-threading enabled) processor. I would like to upgrade the processor with an Intel Core 2 Duo which should fit in the socket.

Is this possible with this computer model?

All Replies
  • Tails9

Sorry it's not possible, the 5000 does not support either Pentium D processors, or Core 2 Duo.  This system only supports P-4 hyperthreading processors.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Why is it not supported? (technically speaking)

Could I have known this without these forums?

• Tails9

It's determined by the chipset on the motherboard, and the Dimension 5000 chipset will only support hyperthreading P-4 processors, not dual core.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Could I have determined this myself somehow?
  • Tails9
    Could I have determined this myself somehow?

Tails9

Probably, if you knew where to find the information.

Google, can sometimes help to find the right info,.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Digging out this old thread since I'm curious to which P4 cpu I can upgrade my Dimension 5000... Somewhere I read 3.4 GHz, would even 3.8 work?

Anything else I would need to change along with that (jumper settings?) besides going into the BIOS ?

Thanks!

• dgnwm1j0

Intel Socket  LGA-775 Pentium 4, 2.8x520, 3.0x530, 3.6x560 and 3.8x570  are compatible with the Dimension 5000.

Prior to installing the processor, check that you have BIOS version A07, when support for newer processors was added.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• That sounds great, thanks! BIOS version is A07

• dgnwm1j0

You are Welcome.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Bev

one more thing :  I just came across the 3.8 GHz 64-bit versions 571, 670 and 672 (6xx with 2Mb L2 cache).  Would those be compatible too? I know the BIOS has a 64-bit technology sensor.

And if I replaced the 32-bit cpu by a 64-bit one, how would a running (32 bit) Windows take that?

Thanks again.

Martin

• Anyone else with an idea?  Can I use any of the 64 bit processors?

• In the meantime I had purchased a 3.8 670 cpu and just tried it.  It basically works, the machine started right up and didn't even halt at the bios for the new processor data.

However after 2 days I went back to the 3.0 since the 3.8 appears to generate a lot more heat, causing the fan to run at a generally much higher rpm level so that it becomes really annoying at high cpu load. After having checked the contact pattern of the heat sink with the cpu that one isn't the best and I tend to blame it on the particular fastening design through that kinda wobbly shroud.  Oh and I used arctic silver thermal paste, applying it according to the size of a grain of rice method.

So it seems to me that this heat sink performance it sufficient for the 3.0 but having a hard time to thermally handle the 3.8. I am even getting under the impression that the 3.8 throttles down under high load when it appears to be almost slower than the 3.0. Or it"s just because of all that fan rpm production...  I'm leaving my system with the 3.0 right now, until I figure out a way to improve the heat sink design..