Max memory in a Dimension 2400

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Max memory in a Dimension 2400

• I'd like to add more memory to my 5yr old Dell Dimension 2400.

I've currently got 2x256Mb in DDR1 and DDR2 (512Mb total)  and my owners-manual suggests a maximum of 1Gb  (512Mb in each slot).   But, is that just an old maximum dictated by how memory was available 5yrs ago?  Can I actually put a 1Gb DDR into each slot and give it 2Gb in total?   Or is there really a limitation due to the motherboard etc?    Some websites selling memory give conflicting opinions on this.   Thanks.   John

• HERE is the Dell 2400 specs from the manual.   According to the manual, maximum of 512KB memory modules and maximum of 1GB total.

The 2400's were sold as "low price - entry level" PC systems so I would say what the manual shows is correct.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• I went through the same thing with my Dimension 4550.   Dell said 1GB, but the Intel chipset it uses supports 2GB.  Turns out it supported 2GB.

It looks like the same thing with the Dimension 2400.  Dell says 1GB, but according to Intel, the chipset (845GV) supports 2GB.  As you've already alluded to, all this is caused by Dell/Intel not being able to TEST the maximum memory when the PC came out.

Note Intel's D845GVSR motherboard uses the same chipset as yours.  I'd go to an online memory retailer and tell it you have a D845GVSR.  I'd buy 2 1GB sticks of at least PC2700 memory it gives you.  PC3200 would also probably work, but it supports a faster clock speed than you need.

For example, using Newegg.com's memory configurator for the Intel D845GVSR motherboard, 1GB -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=1052307858&Configurator=MemoryConfigurator&CFG=CFG003D845GVSR&name=1GB

Given what Intel says and that there are websites saying the maximum is 2GB, I'd say the maximum is definitely 2GB.  Hedge your bet if you want by making sure you can return the memory, although I doubt you'll need to.

References:

Dimension 2400 manual/specs:  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/F75560LRs.pdf

Intel 845GV chipset webpage:  http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/845gv/index.htm

Intel's D845GVSR motherboard webpage:  http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D845GVSR/

• Never assume that just because dell use a certain chipset that the set complies with all specs. Dell does modify their motherboards and chipsets to suit their own purposes.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Davet50

Never assume that just because dell use a certain chipset that the set complies with all specs. Dell does modify their motherboards and chipsets to suit their own purposes.

While this is true, I know from direct experience that the Dimension 2400 will support 2 GB so long as the memory is compatible.  Although I don't have one in the house presently with that amount, the D2400 my son is using has 1.5 GB in it, and it works splendidly.

Dell Forum member since 2005

• You can't always go by what the "Retail" Intel chipset capabilities are in the Dell custom motherboard/BIOS implementations.  My Dimension E510 has an Intel 845G chipset and according to Intel it will accept up to a Pentium D960 dual core CPU, HOWEVER, the Dell implementation will only work with a maximum of a D945 (and there are several documented cases of this on the old forum).

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Judging by the forum responses to my post,  this looks like a debatable subject.    For now,  I'm going to take a gamble on the 1Gb memory from Crucial,  as they seem to be a reliable vendor and they say it's compatible with the 2400.   

Its good to see that there's a reply on this forum where someone has over 1Gb in their 2400, but I appreciate that its still a gamble.   Thanks for your help, and I'll let the forum know if it worked ok!  

• fireberd

You can't always go by what the "Retail" Intel chipset capabilities are in the Dell custom motherboard/BIOS implementations.  My Dimension E510 has an Intel 845G chipset and according to Intel it will accept up to a Pentium D960 dual core CPU, HOWEVER, the Dell implementation will only work with a maximum of a D945 (and there are several documented cases of this on the old forum).

Agreed, but at least in the case of maximum memory for the Dimension 2400/4550 (and probably a bunch of other Dell series around the same time period) one can't go by Dell's specs either.   So, one has to make an educated "guess".

I bought two 512MB sticks for my Dimension 4550 thinking I had maxed it out.  Only later did I found out the max is 2GB.  The money spent on the 512MB sticks was wasted.

My peeve is that Dell didn't either specify separate design/tested maximums (2GB/1GB in this case) when it came out or go back and update the specs or at least add a note regarding the maximum memory being 2GB. 

It hurts Dell's customers when Dell's own specs are WRONG!

• Folks,

Received a 1Gb memory-card from Crucial,  took the existing 2x256Mb ones out, and replaced just one slot.  PC booted fine and recognised the 1Gb card.  So,  I've proven the Dimension-2400 can at least take 1Gb cards,  and not a maximum of 512Mb cards. 

Next thing,  I may put in one of the 256Mb cards to take the total to 1.25Gb and see how it behaves. Both cards are 2700.  

• You should be fine with both a 1GB and 256MB card in the machine.  1.25GB is good for most tasks on Windows XP (which I assume you're using).  You'll probably only need more for highend apps or games.

When I upgraded over 1GB, I used both CPU-Z (to see what my memory timings, verify everything's ok, etc.) and MemTest86+ (to extensively test my memory for over 10 hours).  Both are free.  CPU-Z is available at http://www.cpuid.com/.  MemTest86+ at http://www.memtest.org/.

Glad to hear your Dimension 2400 can take 1GB memory cards.

• Hi!

I just had the same experience. Yesterday I bought an 1 GB card with 333 Mhz (PC 2700) for my Dimension 2400. It is working properly and was recognized by the BIOS, although the manual says a maximum of 512 per slot. But maybe it makes no sense to buy faster RAM, because they are not supported by the CPU (that is just an assumption, I didn't checked it).

g Allen

• +1 for someone having success adding a 1g chip to a Dell Dimention 2400.  Actually, after reading through this thread, I added one to FIVE 2400's (one at home, four at my business).

I am absolutely amazed at the performance increase.  Very sad it took this long for me to figure this out.  I'd tried improving broadband bandwidth to help browsing speed, etc., cleaning up some bookkeeping software that had a decade worth of records in it, etc., but it turns out THIS was the problem that had been making everything slow.  Thanks everyone!

• dudljo:

I have a 2400 to which I've recently added RAM. I first added 1Gig from Dell which was 1GB-DDR 333Mhz non-ECC Module, 3200.

Then more recently I got another Gig from Newegg and added it to replace the 256MB that came with the machine. The one from Newegg was:

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

I am happy with the performance, but the most noticeable performance was when I went from 256 to 1.256.

Hope this helps, but you have probably already completed your upgrade by now.

Happy Computing!

• The money spent toward more RAM in a 2400 would probably be better saved toward a new system.

•