Is XPS 630i Vista 64bit compatible?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Is XPS 630i Vista 64bit compatible?

• Just want to know if the XPS 630i is vista 64bit compatible, I ordered the vista premium home edition and wanted to know if I could upgrade to the 64bit version on the windows vista website???
  • Yes it is although there are no drivers on the Dell site.The reason in my opnion is that the necessary drivers are in the 64 bit OS.

You cannot upgrade an OEM disk on the windows site. You can however request the Disk from Dell.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Make sure you read this post. You need to understand your responsibilities when you order a 64bit Vista DVD from Dell. I guarantee, it will come in handy!

Studio XPS 435T/9000 (His)
    Inspiron 1720 (Hers)
    Inspiron 530s (Server)

• drenai2001,

Call Me skeptical! The 630i is only one of (I believe 4) Dell systems that Dell does not have 64bit drivers for. I believe the "Compatible" thing is still up in the Air on the 630i.

"We have Vista 64bit drivers for the following PCs -
    XPS 730, 720H2C, 720, 710H2C, 710, 700, 600, 420, 410, 210

We do not have Vista 64bit drivers for the following PCs -
    XPS 630i, One, 400, 200"

Sean

• It is very strange that Dell does not have any 64-bit drivers for the 630 but from what I have read you can buy the XPS 630 at Best Buy with the 64-bit pre-installed. How do those people get updates? From the Geek Squad? scary thought......:womansurprised:
    Message Edited by dcgtls on 08-25-2008 10:55 PM

Alienware Aurora R4: i7-3820, 8GB, 10TB of HDD, AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7800, Samsung 27" monitor

XPS 730x: i7 920,   Replaced with an Alienware Aurora R4

XPS 410: Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz (Q6600) , 6GB, EVGA 8800GTS 640MB,
    Single TV Tuner , X-Fi Xtreme Music, Logitec X530 Speakers

Latitude 10 Tablet

Inspiron 1720: T7500, 4GB, 120GBx5400, 120GBx7200, 8600GT, DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth,
    Windows 8.1

• OK, So I can request the vista 64bit disk from Dell and they will send it to me free? Reading on in the forums I see that alot of people were denied the disk, why is that?

Also can I install the 64bit over my 32bit system with out having to reinstall windows and redo all the drivers etc? As I sit now I have a fresh install of Vista Premium Home Edition?

• Just to confirm, the 630 is 64bit compatable.

If you run CPU-Z and look on the first tab (CPU) next to "Instructions" you will see:

"MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T"

The EM64T bit shows the system is infact able to run with a 64bit OS.

Whether you can get the 64bit DVD will at the moment depend on where you live and what OS you are currently running. I'm in the UK and they will only supply the DVD if you are a buisness or Vista Ultimate customer, this is still to be confirmed. I'm having trouble getting any response at all from Dell Ireland.

BBF

• drenai2001 wrote:

OK, So I can request the vista 64bit disk from Dell and they will send it to me free? Reading on in the forums I see that alot of people were denied the disk, why is that?

Also can I install the 64bit over my 32bit system with out having to reinstall windows and redo all the drivers etc? As I sit now I have a fresh install of Vista Premium Home Edition?

No, you can not install it as an upgrade. You will need to backup all of you data to another HDD or CD/DVD or Flash Drive. You will then boot from the 64-bit DVD and delete the existing partition and let windows create the new partition and install, you will then need to install ALL of the drivers and your applications. There is no way to avoid this.

Yes you should be able to get the disk from Dell. Read this THREAD and send DELL-Chris_M a PM with the requested info and he will take care of you so long as you are in the USA.

Alienware Aurora R4: i7-3820, 8GB, 10TB of HDD, AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7800, Samsung 27" monitor

XPS 730x: i7 920,   Replaced with an Alienware Aurora R4

XPS 410: Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz (Q6600) , 6GB, EVGA 8800GTS 640MB,
    Single TV Tuner , X-Fi Xtreme Music, Logitec X530 Speakers

Latitude 10 Tablet

Inspiron 1720: T7500, 4GB, 120GBx5400, 120GBx7200, 8600GT, DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth,
    Windows 8.1

• billybigfoot,

"MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T"

The EM64T bit shows the system is infact able to run with a 64bit OS.

Correction... the CPU is capable. Just like the Chipset is capable of X16 primary PCIe slot.  'nuf said?????

Sean

• Thanks everyone for the responses, Will I notice a difference in say gaming performance if i went to the 64bit vista? About the disk I live in Canada and do you think they would still send the disk or is this only offered to US residence?
  • drenai2001,

As with a lot going on at Dell right now, this policy seems to be new. Dell seems to need some "gooder" communication. The word spreads slowly... Probably because of all the Lost Jobs of late (Massive layoffs probably due to outsourcing). Dunno even if they're done yet. My Employer is in those thralls as well. Chris_M is the best way to get the right result, he always has been. He's not afraid to "Push Buttons" for us. DAT Takes Guts. If we ever login to this forum and he's not the Liason... we should all send our machines back (I will).

As to the 64bit fresh install... If that is your path, install as little as you can get along with. You'll have to be doing it all again.

Sean

• shdbcamping1,

Correction... the CPU is capable. Just like the Chipset is capable of X16 primary PCIe slot.  'nuf said?????

Sean

Sure is :smileywink:

BBF