BIOS Problem Dell Dimension E310

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

BIOS Problem Dell Dimension E310

• Hi

I downloaded the updated recommended version for my computer. Then rebooted and now it beeps about six times and my screen is blank, I don't have any CDs to reinstall windows XP.  Does anyone have any ideas I can try when I get home?  Thanks

• Sadly, it sounds like the BIOS was corrupted by the update.  You say 6 beeps, but it's really some other sequence, like 1 beep, 1 beep, 4 beeps (6 total) or something similar.  This particular beep pattern indicates a BIOS checksum error (corrupted BIOS). 

If this is the case, the only recourse for a corrupted BIOS is to replace the motherboard. 

HERE is the diagnostic beep chart. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thank you very much for your help.  I figured it was a major problem.
  • I too have an E310.   I have been adding upgrades along the way, new video card, more RAM, Vista OS.  I looked at the BIOS updates that Dell 'Recommended'. The best advice I got was that you shouldn't upgrade the BIOS unless you are having a problem with a certain piece of hardware. Read what the BIOS allegedly is supposed to fix then make a decision. Tough choice, I know. But now you will have to pay Dell an awful lot of cash for a cheapo MB. Better off building a custom PC an use whatever parts you can from the E310. You'll end up with a better board and better support. Good luck.
    Message Edited by bobpetro on 08-18-2008 07:16 PM
  • I did a search for an E310 motherboard and didn't see anything, other than from Dell.

I am not a Dell Employee

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

• It definitely is a total of 6 beeps, I am going to get a friend of my husband to check it and we are going to buy parts from Fry's, it will be a lot cheaper than buying from Dell.  Anyway, whenever I have called Dell for assistance for my machine, they were no help and I always ended up fixing the problem on my own.  Thanks for all your help,  have a wonderful day.
  • You can't use a non-Dell motherboard in that PC.  It's a BTX configuration, not ATX like almost all standard motherboards.  And, take note to what I mentioned about the Dell proprietary items and the fact you will need a Retail copy of Windows. 

You can "build" a new PC with a new motherboard, case, power supply and Windows XP CD and then try to use whatever from the 310, if the parts are compatible, but it may not be very much.   

I am not a Dell Employee

• I feel your pain. I too gave up years ago on Dell Support. I started to read PC magazines and just get my hands in the machine and tinker. Then I learned how to fix almost anything. I have friends give me their machines to fix. They give a little something after I'm done but I feel good in knowing I helped them. You should be able to use the HD and CPU from the E310. You'll most likely have to but a heatsink/fan unit as the original unit has a unique mounting system. I bought a new HS/Fan unit and couldn't use it. Good luck on your new build. Oh, get a MB that has plenty of PCIe slots and RAM slots.
    Message Edited by bobpetro on 08-20-2008 08:21 AM
  • Thanks for the information, my husband has a friend who can build me another one, that was a waste of money.  I took a loan to buy this computer and now that I have finished paying the loan the computer isnt any good.  Oh well that's just life.  :smileyhappy: