Precision 690 SLI? - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

Precision 690 SLI?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Precision 690 SLI?

• I have a Precision 690 With a sigle video card. What do i need to make this workstation SLI (2x videoc cards) i only one PCI-E slot. From what i read in the documentation it looks like i need a SLI adapter for the motherboard?
  • If I'm not mistaken you need a PCIe riser that splits the slot into 2 PCIe 16x slots (not sure if this will be 2 x 16 PCIe lanes or 2 x 8, but I suspect the latter).

Also, I believe the SLI is limited to the Nvidia Quadro range, not GeForce series cards (as this is a CAD/CAM system, not a gaming system). I'm pretty sure it's an Nvidia driver limitation.

Member since 2003

• do you happen to have the dell part number of the PCIe SPLITER? i will be using 2x FX3500 Quadro Card
  • Probably if you call your Dell salesrep or Dell spare parts they can probably find it.

Judging from section 5 here if it raises the slots like it looks like it might, you may need some special bracket too for allowing the videocards to secure to the chassis. I think it's the little piece you see here.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

I'm not sure if anything else may be needed (powerlead splitter or so)... I'm not that familiar with the 690 (was interested in it at one point, which is why I know a few things about them, but never actually ended up buying one).

Member since 2003

• I'm not sure that Sli will work unless you order the PC with the option. Not an answer, but here is someone else who tried

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?message.uid=19018263#U19018263

I know there are a few differences in the different chassis of the 690's, Ive had two, and they very from the 750w to the 1kw options (extra space on the back for a memory fan on the latter) but it seems that if you can actually find the parts (good luck, might have to get a barebones chassis just to get it off flebay) that it may be possible