XPS 630i ESA Firmware

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 630i ESA Firmware

• Anyone have a clue what this fixes?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R189609&SystemID=XPS_630I&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=16555&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=7&fileid=259998

• tbrought:  Read the several hundred posts regarding the 100% Fan issue on the sticky at the top of the forum.  Then it may be clear...... rolling my eyes at the situation as a whole.....
  • it appears to be the firmware update for the preformance control so your fans and lights will work without sending the fans into overdrive, not for sure but thats what it looks like.

• Does it matter which bios version you have? I am currently on 1.0.2, which it left the factory with.
  • I couldn't run this file last night for some reason.  Came up with an error upon execution, but I can't recall the exact error message at the moment.
  • I would think it would be compatabile with every BIOS, but Im not sure.

First extract the file, then go into your NVIDIA Control Panel, and goto ESA Firmware and upload from there. It's not self-installing like a BIOS update would be ....

• tbrought wrote:

I would think it would be compatabile with every BIOS, but Im not sure.

First extract the file, then go into your NVIDIA Control Panel, and goto ESA Firmware and upload from there. It's not self-installing like a BIOS update would be ....

The file I downloaded was an executable file with a ".exe" extension, and I couldn't run it.  Is a new file up now?
  • There may be? I'm at work so I haven't even gotten to try =D .... Did it not self-extract at all? Or ask for a directory to extract too?

• tbrought wrote:
    There may be? I'm at work so I haven't even gotten to try =D .... Did it not self-extract at all? Or ask for a directory to extract too?

Nope, got an error when I tried to execute it.  I'll try another download tonight and try again when I get home.
  • All,

I already sent this file to 20 or so of you last week with instructions. If you got the email, do not rerun this. Anyone on this thread not get the email from me?
    Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-26-2008 05:51 PM

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• DELL-Chris_M wrote:
    I already sent this file to 20 or so of you last week with instructions. If you got the email, do not rerun this. Anyone on this thread not get the email from me?

I didn't get the email, but then I'm not having fan or light issues.  I just saw the update on Dell's site, and it was marked as an "Urgent" download.  So I downloaded and tried to run it and that's when I got the error.

• Rambler358,

Follow these instructions.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• I had firmware 20 showing as the instalkled version. Did the update, still showing 20. Also after restart, tried again, still 20.

Is that correct?

I thought it might have been 24, since I recall a post where that version was mentioned (maybe on the unofficial XPS 630 forum :-)).

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 06-27-2008 02:22 AM

XPS630i Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz BIOS 1.0.13 FSB 1066MHz
    RAM: 3 GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz
    HDD: 2x WD25 00AAJS-75VWA 250GB SATA non RAID
    DVD: Liteon DH-20A1S and HL-DT-ST DVD +-RW GSA-H73N
    Video: GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
    Audio: Audigy 2, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers
    Monitor: Dell 1800FP

XP pro SP3 IE8 WMP 11

• DELL-Chris_M wrote:
    Rambler358,

Follow these instructions.

That's basically what I attempted to do.  The problem is that the file on the Dell site was not executing or extracting.  Has a new file replaced it?

• Rambler, I just did it tonight and it worked perfectly ... Try downloading the file again and giving it another shot =)