VISTA: IPCONFIG /RELEASE Fails with Media Disconnected error.

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

VISTA: IPCONFIG /RELEASE Fails with Media Disconnected error.

• I was trying to do an ipconfig /release and /renew operation to fix a dropped internet connection.
    (yes, I tried the repair connection tool and it failed)

I have an XPS 420 with the bluetooth card reader. I get this message:

"No operation data can be performed on Bluetooth Network while it has its media disconnected"

I am NOT trying to perform anything to the bluetooth connection. I want to release and renew my hardwired ethernet connection.

Here is the relevant section of my IPCONFIG /ALL:

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:  
       Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

How do I do a release on my hardwired ethernet adapter connection? I am not using bluetooth for anything.

What does it mean that the media state is disconnected?

Thanks.
  • I use to have the same problem as you did before i did a clean install of Vista. Basically that error message is just telling you that your bluetooth is not connected when you are attempting to release then renew your ip. Try ipconfig /all and find the nic card details, then try to release the ip again. I think in "vista" when we perform an ip release it does it for every component such as nic, wireless and also bluetooth.

• thanks...I guess what I need is the syntax to just do a release on the ethernet connection.

ipconfig / release XXXXXX where XXXXXX is the correct syntax to identify the ethernet connection.
  • This is the syntax:

Examples

To display the basic TCP/IP configuration for all adapters, type:

ipconfig

To display the full TCP/IP configuration for all adapters, type:

ipconfig /all

To renew a DHCP-assigned IP address configuration for only the Local Area Connection adapter, type:

ipconfig /renew "Local Area Connection"

To flush the DNS resolver cache when troubleshooting DNS name resolution problems, type:

ipconfig /flushdns

To display the DHCP class ID for all adapters with names that start with Local, type:

ipconfig /showclassid Local*

To set the DHCP class ID for the Local Area Connection adapter to TEST, type:

ipconfig /setclassid "Local Area Connection" TEST