USB ports not reading flash drive

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

USB ports not reading flash drive

• First off I apologize if this is the wrong section to post this in.

Now, I have a Dimension 3000 desktop. I just had to do a full reboot. Before I did that, I bought a flash drive, 2GB U3 Cruzer Micro, to load my files onto. My computer read it without an issue.

Did the full reboot. Now my computer won't recognize the flash drive. To make sure it wasn't a problem with the flash drive I plugged it into my parents computer. It read it without a problem and I was able to access all of my files. My other USB devices such as the keyboard work without a problem. But it refuses to recognize the flash drive.

It does see what it is and that it's in the system if I plug it into one of the rear USB ports but it can't access it. The two front ports don't even see it.

Any suggestions?

• By "full reboot", do you mean you reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled WIndows?

Did you reinstall the Desktop System Software followed by the chipset driver?

Typical installatin order is:
    XP
    System Software
    Chipset driver
    Video driver
    Audio driver
    Network driver
    etc.

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Yes I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows. Yes to the drivers. Not sure about Desktop System Software though. Is there a way to check?

• Go to MY COMPUTER then DEVICE MANAGER

See if you find anything with exclamation points or anything else out of the ordinary that requires your attention.

• If you didn't manually install Desktop System Software, then you need to do that. Download onto your desktop and then reboot in Safe Mode. Double-click on the file you saved and then reboot normally after it's installed.

And you may need to read this from Microsoft.

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee