ATI 128M.B.HYPER Mem PCI-E X16 X300SE.DIM
    ATI TV Wonder Elite PCI
    19" FP
    Sigma-Tel Intergrated Audio 7.1 channel
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    DVD-/+RW & DVD-ROM
    Pertelian X2040 ForeSight Systems LCD information Display
    Dell 944 AIO Printer

I hope this is the correct place for my topic ,however Iam just curious if the H.D. on my XPS400 a Samsung SP2504C 8M.B. cache is acting normal .This hard drive recieves very good ratings on all the reviews I have found on it ,however none of them mention what the normal sounds coming from the drive are. I find the H.D. makes a low scratching sound most of the time and then sometimes it will make even more sound depending on what task Iam preforming or when Iam multi tasking ! Can anyone else who has this same H.D. in their tell me if they recieve the same sounds or is their H.D. quiet ? When its making these sounds the small light on the front of the tower usally lights up showing the H.D. is being accessed !

Thank You ,

Nick

• Hmm is it a high pitch "cicada" noise? If so put your ear to the back of your comp and check its not coming from the PSU.

My HD in my XPS720 makes a low dull thudding/rattling sound (says healthy on startup though) but the PSU whines with a high pitched buzzing noise, like that ya get from a TV producing static, whenever extra power is drawn such as writing data, or scrolling and so on.

It might just be your hard drive but its worth checking as the noisy PSU is a known, longterm and widespread problem with these computers.

•  Hi Bob,

Its definitly coming from my H.D. ! When I put my ear right next to the spot where the H.D. is installed thats where the sound which is hard to explain ,kind of like a fast clicking sound however if Iam multi-tasking, for instance have my internet running also have my TV Wonder TV Tuner card on ,with TV in a small box on my desktop ,also have a RSS Feed that displays the lastest news ,sports system stats wheather etc on a seperate piece of hardware called a PertelianX2040 a LCD backlite dispaly . Then the sound will sometimes alsmost sound like a little compressor at work on top of the rapid clicking sound .Iam not use to this my previous PC a P3 750MHz with a 5400rpm H.D. 30 G.B. makes no sound at all ? However I can understand that a 250 G.B. faster H.D. would perhaps have top work alot harder to get to the information and in turn make some noise ! THe little lite on the front of PC will go from rarely lighting up when PC sits idle to constantly flickering showing me its being accessed. I have system mechanic ver7 installed and I performed the deep defragmentation of the H.D. ,which took hours ! That utility reports no problems with the h.d. . Thanks again for your input ,next time I open up my tower to clean the inside of it using compressed air and a special dust cloth ,I will turn the PC on to make sure the sound in coming from the H.D. only ! I have a 320 G.B. externial H.D. that I purchased for back up ,I want to back up my entire internial H.D. to it .However I do not have the software yet for backing up my H.D. to the externial Iam waiting for Seagate to send me the free backup app. on CD ,you can download it off the internet however its a 90+ M.B. download and for now Iam still on a dialup ISP .

Take Care Bob  

Thanks Again Nick

XPS400 2.8Gig 820 D Dual Core -VIIV
    O/S WinXP Media Center Edition 2005
    2G.B. DDR2 RAM 533MHZ-4x512M.B.
    Samsung Hard Drive 250G.B. 7200RPM
    Seagate externial 320G.B. H.D.7200RPM USB
    ATI 128M.B.HYPER Mem PCI-E X16 X300SE.DIM
    ATI TV Wonder Elite PCI
    19" FP
    Sigma-Tel Intergrated Audio 7.1 channel
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    DVD-/+RW & DVD-ROM
    Pertelian X2040 ForeSight Systems LCD information Display