Monitor goes blank?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Monitor goes blank?

• I've had an XPS 420 for about a month. About a week into owning it the monitor started going blank at random times. It's still on it just doesn't seem to be getting a signal from the computer. One second it will be fine then it just cuts out and I have to turn the computer off and on again. It sometimes will go a couple of days without doing it sometimes it will do it several times a day. At first after searching around I thought it might be a problem Vista was having with sleep mode so I stopped putting it to sleep and would just turn it all the way off. That seemed to work for almost a week but it's started again.

The PC has 

Intel Core2 processorQ6600 (2.40Ghz,1066FSB)

512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

the monitor is a Dell UltraSharp 2407FP 2407FPW-HC.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

• having the same exact problem, only got my xps420 less than a month ago aswell
    Message Edited by Jecked on 02-07-2008 09:30 AM
  • Mine also does the same thing, I switch from the DVI cable to the regular one. I tried support and within a few hours it started doing it again. I also have a 2407FWP.

ATI HD2400
    Quad core
    Vista
    3 GB ram
      Forgot to mention what I have done so far-
       1. Upgraded drivers
       2. Changed settings for DVI cable
       3. Cursed at the monitor
       4. Gave it dirty looks

From what I read on the internet switching cables is the only real solution so far, I am wondering if it is out monitors?
    Message Edited by chrsb on 02-07-2008 07:40 AM
  • XPS20

ATI HD420

QUAD CORE

VISTA

E228FWP

I have this problem OUT OF THE BOX. Wasted over an hour with tech support that had no solutions. I have to imagine it is a driver issue. Not sure wether to blame Vista or ATI or if it a team effort. Anyone figure this out? Mine only cuts out during some power saves and some log outs, not all the time or randomly so I guess I'm one of the lucky. I find if you pull the power cable and plug back in PnP re-recognizes it, same with the DVI cable. I have to admit that I was warned that Vista has had a histroy of driver issues but I didn't think I should buy a new system with XP if they didn't support it anymore. If this turns out to be the next Windows ME I'm going to be bitter.

P.S...Thanks to the sales person I talked to a week before I made the leap who told me how great Vista is  :|

• All,

First, let's verify the monitors are working.

Does it pass or fail the Monitor Self-Test?
    * Turn off both your computer and the monitor
    * Make sure the monitor is plugged directly into the wall socket to remove any surge protectors or APCs from the troubleshooting equation
    * Unplug the monitor video cable from the back of the computer
    * Turn on the monitor
    * The floating red/green/blue/white dialog box should appear on screen against a black background
    * If this passes, then the issue is not the monitor. It could be the video card driver, the video card, the operating system, or some other hardware

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• Thank you for your reply!

Passed the self test. I'm not a tech but I would gamble that it's a driver issue considering the rep Vista has with drivers along with the symptoms i'm experiencing. Tech support logged onto my system and checked my drivers and said they were "correct". I was even able to replicate the problem with the tech logged onto my system. He said his screen was up and mine wasn't whihc tells me the system doesn't hang. There is a chance it is a bad video card but I would say that is a small one. Are you telling me this is not a know issue? The issue is not random in occurance like it just happens. It is random on the amoutn of log offs/power saves it takes. I did spend close to 90 minutes with tech support so I have tried that. Something about when the computer goes out for a second into power save as it goes back to log ins. I have spent HOURS setting this thing up and I'm not looking to return it. It works fast and I'm not unhappy with the system over all. This is an annoying problem when I log out that I have found a way to work around. The annoying comes from the fact it is NEW.

• I've had my XPS 420 for two months now and am having the same exact problem. The monitor goes completely black at random times. This happens once or twice a week.

I have taken the steps advised by ChrisM and my monitor passes the test. I have also tried updating the driver for my video card to no avail.I would love to hear an easy solution instead of having to send back my new XPS.

Here are the stats:
    Dell XPS 420
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.39GHz
    GeForce 8800 GT

• Just happened again today. Simply on the web then the monitor goes out. I had music playing and it kept going. I was also able to use the keyboard to stop and start the music so I know the computer hadn’t frozen.I tried unplugging/replugging the power on the monitor as suggested by Timinsd but that did not work. He also suggested unplugging the DVI cable but I did not try that. Thought it might be a bad thing to do while the computer is running. A few days ago I got an automated update from vista for my video card but that clearly did not fix my problem. 

So what should I do? Is it Vista? The drivers? My video card? I'm obviously not the only person with this problem.

Dell XPS 420
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.39GHz
    GeForce 8800 GT

• Happened yet AGAIN. This time was unusual though.

I was hovering over a link in IE and the screen went black EXCEPT for the mouse cursor! I was able to move it around the black screen and it would change to a hand icon when it was presumably over a link on the website. The cursor vanished and did not come back when I moved it to the top of the screen.

• Monitor just went blank once again in the same exact occurrence as mentioned above. I was just on-line using IE and all I could see was the mouse cursor. I tried unplugging the power to the monitor and disconnecting the signal cable from the back of the monitor (not the computer). When the mouse was moved to the side of the screen I could not get it back.

I am really trying to narrow down what the problem could be and I will continue posting my experiences with this problem.

• Hey i had this same problem with my xps m1330. Expect my monitor only turns off when im doing something like playing a game. I've tried a lot of things like coolers, and changing the resolution, but they didn't totally fix the problem. It seemed to make it less frequent. What i just did resently was change my virtual memory so far(about a week) the problem hasn't happened again. The weird thing is the computer says it's configuring your memory setting to be the best, but it recommended me a higher setting. I changed my setting from 2345 mb to 3067 mb. Im not sure if it's just me but things did seem to run a tiny bit smoother after that. To get there i went to system, advance system settings, under advanced i went to performance settings, then advanced. Once you get there theres a little button you can press under virtual memory. You have to set a min. and max so my min is 2345 and max is 3067. Hope everything works out. I know this problem is a pain.
  • Fukuisan, you are the main man!!!  For weeks now I have driven nuts by this problem.  ...searching the internet, etc.  I don't know why I didn't think to check the Dell forums and find you, before now.  My problem has been with my second monitor going black at odd times and finally, it just wouldn't come up, except for that few seconds just after pressing the start button.  It would show the Dell logo, etc., but that's it.  I tried your adjustment (but since it is my second monitor, I chose 2700 min and 3500 max.  The second monitor came right up and looks solid so far.  I'll let you know if this is just false hope.

I had begun to think this problem might be why Dell doesn't seem to support Windows 7 on my XPS 710 with Quad core 2.4 ghz processor and 3GB (really 4GB) of memory, but apparently not.

BTW: I have found almost no problems with Windows 7 on my PC.  In fact I find it far more stable than Vista and much faster than XP.  The only irritation is that some programs (Nero and some others) that use API's in Windows Explorer will freeze sometimes when I try to access files using the program.  If you have any suggestions on this you'll go to the top of my favorite list.

Thanks a million for your help!!!

• Well, I wrote too soon.  All of a sudden, for no understandable reason, my second monitor just went black.  I did notice that my main monitor did go black for about a half second at the same time, but it came right back.  Drat!!!  All of the elation is out the window.

• Hope rises again.  My second monitor has been up for 6 1/2 hours now.  Even though I am sure my black screen problem started when I updated the driver for my GeForce 7900 GS a few weeks ago, I went back to NVidia's web site and checked for a new driver.  Shock and surprise!!!  I found one released in the middle of April, 2010.  I installed it and it looks like my black screen problem is gone.  I will let you know if it is false hope again, but I am pretty optimistic right now.

• I am also having this issue with my xps 420.

Dell monitor seems to go dark for a few seconds then comes back. System does not freeze.

When it goes dark, the monitor is not going into standby, power light is still green.

I have replaced the graphics card and same issue.

I switched monitors with another, and same issue.

Only recent change other than new graphics card is new HD and OS, but not sure if issue was before or after.

Read up on how to test the Power Supply using a multimeter and the pin voltages is what it should.

It is pointing more towards a software issue, but i dont know.

Any help please!!