XPS 420 MiniPort Viewer - SideShow

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 420 MiniPort Viewer - SideShow

• A Dell video about the XPS 420 described the MiniPort viewer as having a diagnostics tool & a picture viewer but mine doesn't seem to have this. all I have are:

• welcome page (device embeded)
    • solitaire card game (device embeded)
    • WMP (controlpanel)
    • Windows Mail (control panel). 

What came with your default set up?

Another thing, any gadget I download does not appear in devices setup in control panel.  They all seem to rely on them running from sidebar first.

I read the manual on this device which says you can run this device, even when the PC is turned off.  Is there a wat to enable this ability?
  • In Windows Control Panel, there is an option there for the Slideshow, here you can choose

which gadgets appear on the Windows Slideshow. 

You may find it easier to switch the Control Panel view to "Classic View" as it is one of the last icons.
  • I have my 420 for two weeks now and have the same items available as Jeorne :-(. Morover, activating the miniview awakes my computer. When the system is off, the miniview is not available.
    In Windows Control Panel, there is an option there for the Slideshow, but I can only select or deselect the four options available on the miniview. Also, I did not manage to add any gadgets. 

This means that until now, it does not operate as it should according to the manual.

• You should have more than those 4. I show Picture Viewer, Web PIctures, Solitaire, Media Player, Windows Mail, the one that shows memory, cpu, page usage, I think I have 7 or 8 in total.

As I understand it, you can use some of the gadgets for SIDEBAR as part of the SIDESHOW however they must be running in SIDEBAR before showing up on SIDESHOW. If you open SIDESHOW they have specific ones that should work just for that. You download a new one and should be able to check the box under SIDESHOW PROPERTIES and it should be fine.

I have 2, my folks have 1, XPS and all have the 8 or so gadgets. We were lucky as there appears to be several people that have the 420 and only have 2 or 3 of the gadgets. Wonder why that is?

Message Edited by eskymi on 01-28-2008 07:47 AM

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

• In my case Lambertus, I only have two selectable (WM & WMP) in the control panel applet not four.  So yours seems slightly different.  Its strange that new DL'd programs are not registered there.

My PC wakes all the time after 10 seconds or so. When you say the MiniView wakes your system, is that because you press it's buttons, or just the fact that it's running?
  • Thats what I saw advertised Eskymi.  The difference must be regional; I brought mine in the UK.

Do all your default programs register in the control panel applet, or do some only work from the sidebar?

Can you give me the title of your programs, especially the ones that show up in the control panel.  I want to see if I can down load them.  I've got a feeling that some are part of the firmware and you have the latests version.  If thats true, where can we DL firmware updates?

:smileysad:  Another thing is that I didn't get the free Adobe Elements deal either.  Just Roxio Premier creator 9.

Hey, on a side note, I just realised the basic keyboard has two USB ports :smileysurprised:
  • Mine was purchased in the US. 

All of my programs work through Sideshow applet.  when I go to sideshow properties it lists the 8 of them.

They are miniview web pictures, miniview slideshow, Windows Media Player, Windows Mail, Solitaire, Minview Countdown Timer, Miniview Reminders, XPS PC Monitor.  All of those work independently of the Sidebar.  They strictly run through the Miniview screen.

I use WMP which you said you have, I use the Mail feature to read Email when someone is playing a game or something.  I use the PC Monitor for Memory, CPU Usage, Page File Usage, it's a nice tool.  And slideshow to see our hundreds of photos.  Don't use the other 4 very often.

As far as firmware, the only update I did was through Windows Update and it was a driver update.  It was downloaded for me on 12/07/2007 and that was the first day I set up my XPS.  IT was the Drive update For Microsoft Windows SideShow Developmental Hardware.  That was it.

I was lucky to get the Adobe Software and it's pretty nice.  Have already photoshopped a few pictures.  My kids love messing with the photos and putting monster eyes on people.  Stuff like that.

You are one up on me as my keyboard does not have a USB port.  My monitor has three, which is nice as our printer didn't reach and we just plugged it into the monitor.  Plus it has the built in webcam, which is also a nice feature.

Message Edited by eskymi on 01-28-2008 07:37 PM

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

• Thanks Eskymi!  I had a look on the web and the only one I found was miniView 1.3.0 ($19) for the pictures.  The one I really wanted was the XPS PC Monitor.  Have to badger Dell to release it over the pond.  It would be great to find a gadget that works with Vista's calender too.

I recently realised I could have ordered the bluetooth version of 19-in-1 Media Card Reader.  But the spare part is not showing up on their website.  I read somewhere that the miniView SideShow panel has bluetooth, but I think thats not true.

Nice Monitor.  Mines just a basic 22" with native res of 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz.  No noticable latentcy issues. 
  • I have all the ones eskymi mentioned and outlook 2007 calendar as well... I never use it however...

XPS 420 with Vista Ultimate 64-bit - Q6700 - 8 GB 800 MHZ Mushkin RAM - 2 500 GB Samsung - 425 Watt PSU

Nvidia 8800gt - 24" Gateway LCD

• Ont this site:

http://www.sideshowdevices.com/more-vista-sideshow-gadgets-available-for-download

I found the following text:

A Windows SideShow gadget is a piece of code running on the Windows Vista platfom and sends informtion to a hardware display device. If you running Windows Vista, in the Windows SideShow Control Panel applet, you will see the list of SideShow gadgets and SideShow hardware devices installed on the system. By default, Windows vista ships with two sideshow gadgets and one with Microsoft® Office Outlook 2007:

Inbox—Windows Mail

Windows Media Player

Office Outlook® 2007 Calendar

On my 420 I can find these three gadgets plus a game. So the game is the only gadget that was installed/delivered by Dell. On the site:

http://gallery.live.com/default.aspx?l=7

I found the only sideshow gadgets to add. Did not try to download and install them. When I click the 'Get more gadgets online' button in the sideshow control panel, I am redirected to a side with no gadgets at all :-( Would be interested if someone knos other sites to download from?

• mine came standard with cpu/memory graphs. i like it a lot for monitoring games that i cant alt tab out of to see the task manager