Modified Bios Download for Raid 0, 1, 5 and 0+1 Support! (Vostro 200 / 400 and Inspiron 530 / 530s)!

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Modified Bios Download for Raid 0, 1, 5 and 0+1 Support! (Vostro 200 / 400 and Inspiron 530 / 530s)!

• Alright guys! It's finally up for download! 

Sorry to all those who have been asking me for them for months!

Latest 1.0.10 bios MODIFIED for Raid 0, 1, 5, and 0+1 Support! :)
    Releases available for Vostro 200 / 400 and Inspiron 530 / 530s:

http://www.thelostbrain.com/post/2007/12/Raid-0%2c-1-%2c-5%2c-0-1-support-Dell-Vostro-200--400-and-Inspiron-530--530s-machines!-(Finally).aspx

or

http://www.thelostbrain.com and then just search for: raid vostro

Have fun! :)

-TheLostBrain

• I just found your post and I'm excited to try this out. I've got the 80GB sata drive as the main Windows, and two more 500GB I want to mirror for backup data. I went and got a VIA 6421 based pci raid card, to add 2 more ATA 250GB drives. Yes I used a power drill to make more screw holes! I've had all kinds of nasty problems with any drive attached through the raid card. Freezes up, dvd rom drive won't read while attached. I'm running Vista Premium. But I'm also wondering if it's got something to do with not having Raid set to on in the bios, as this is a raid card. If this bios flash won't get those up and running right, what's your input on a good under 50 dollar raid card that works with Vista? Seeing as we are limited to 4 Sata ports, you can actually see where they cut corners by not putting in the 5th and 6th port! I'm interested to hear your feedback. Thanks for working on that bios!
  • Unfortunately I can't really recommend one for that price... :/ All of the reviews, etc. that I looked at out there didn't show anything comparable to the capabilities of the ICH9R for under $150ish! That's what actually encouraged me to do the bios mod to begin with. My only recommendation would be to checkout newegg.com and view the ratings of the cards in that price range, etc. Newegg rocks. :)
  • I don't have a floppy drive on hand, does the bios you have here allow me to use the one drive seperate from the two 500gb drives in mirror? I'm also working on using that via controller card without the ATA drive attached, it works fine with the two SATA transferring between them 32mb/s average. Haven't tried to run the drives between the card and one on the board yet. Looks like I'm going to be using all Sata here on out.
  • Just a word of caution, guys. If you mod BIOS using the flash files that AlteredImage is offering, Dell probably won't help you under warranty if the system fails to POST or otherwise crashes.

I'm NOT saying AlteredImage's mods are bad or wrong. They're probably perfectly OK, and it is your machine to do whatever you want. But keep in mind the possibility that your warranty may be void after using his mods.

You might just want to wait until after your Dell warranty expires... ;)

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• RoHe wrote:
    Just a word of caution, guys. If you mod BIOS using the flash files that AlteredImage is offering, Dell probably won't help you under warranty if the system fails to POST or otherwise crashes.

I'm NOT saying AlteredImage's mods are bad or wrong. They're probably perfectly OK, and it is your machine to do whatever you want. But keep in mind the possibility that your warranty may be void after using his mods.

You might just want to wait until after your Dell warranty expires... ;)

Ron

RoHe makes a good point! ...and yes this is coming from the guy who made the mod. ;)

While I've not had any issues at all running these bioses in a live production environment (and neither should you) you always need to be careful when making this type of modification.

If you do decide to update to the modded bios be sure to be just as cautious as you would during any other bios flash! Don't interrupt the process... and don't lose power! :)

Good news is that this bios hack isn't really a "hack" at all. Bioses are composed of many pieces... In simple terms you have the main bios itself.. and then additional option-roms, etc. All I did was simply remove the crippled Intel Raid Option Rom and replace it with a non-crippled one. This was done in the same way the original bios programmers themselves would have done it.

Everything else about the bios..including the original bios code itself is untouched and just as it was. As a matter of fact... outside of having the additional raid configurations available in the Intel Matrix Configuration Manager (Ctrl-I at bootup)...there are no other visual indications at all that there have been any changes made. ;)

This is the only reason why I even considered making it available for others to use... it's not something that's been hacked/patched together...but rather this bios has been fixed "correctly". :)

As RoHe says above though...always keep warranties, etc. in mind when making these types of changes.

-TheLostBrain

Message Edited by AlteredImage on 01-03-2008 10:28 PM
  • Just to clarify, all I need on the floppy disk to do this from DOS is the DOS_Update.bat nothing else? All the files won't fit on 1.44 and I'm not having a good time getting a flash drive to be bootable. I got this bootDisk2BootStick http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/10/16/how-to-make-a-usb-flash-drive-bootable/ but it formats your flash drive down to 1.44 so my 2 gig is just as good as a floppy which won't fit all the files you have to flash the bios. I think with 3 500 gb drives over here it would be great to try something with parity. I don't feel I have enough information yet to get this to work from a flash drive. Lil help here from the community? Thanks! P.S. Did anyone have issues getting the standard mirror to work? Windows won't install to the drives. I've never wasted so much time on any board, even a budget one. They really know how to keep people from being productive over at Dell! I would like to see this bios work, as if not, I think a 2 dollar ebay motherboard will be easier set up than trying to make this work the way it should have from the start!

• stlcraft wrote:
    Just to clarify, all I need on the floppy disk to do this from DOS is the DOS_Update.bat nothing else? All the files won't fit on 1.44 and I'm not having a good time getting a flash drive to be bootable. I got this bootDisk2BootStick http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/10/16/how-to-make-a-usb-flash-drive-bootable/ but it formats your flash drive down to 1.44 so my 2 gig is just as good as a floppy which won't fit all the files you have to flash the bios. I think with 3 500 gb drives over here it would be great to try something with parity. I don't feel I have enough information yet to get this to work from a flash drive. Lil help here from the community? Thanks! P.S. Did anyone have issues getting the standard mirror to work? Windows won't install to the drives. I've never wasted so much time on any board, even a budget one. They really know how to keep people from being productive over at Dell! I would like to see this bios work, as if not, I think a 2 dollar ebay motherboard will be easier set up than trying to make this work the way it should have from the start!

Unfortunately, no... The batch file by itself will not work... and you are correct in that everything you need is too big to fit on a floppy.

If you already have Windows XP installed on this machine you can simply run the Win_Update.bat file and it will flash your bios right there from within Windows.
    (Doesn't work in Vista per my testing but feel free try if you like).

If you want/need to do it from DOS I suggest you checkout the article I just wrote up today on making your flash drive bootable. It guides you through the entire process of creating a DOS bootable flash drive that still gives you access to all of the flash drive space once booted into DOS! :)

You can find it here:
    http://www.thelostbrain.com/post/2008/01/Make-your-flash-drive-bootable!-(Boot-into-DOS-with-access-to-full-flash-drive-space).aspx

Or goto: www.thelostbrain.com
    ..and then search for: flash dos boot

-TheLostBrain
  • You rock! I'm running RAID 5 so the 1.5TB is giving me about 1TB with a parady drive! Has me eyeballing 2 250 giggers to see what may happen if I throw them in the loop. I've been using 2003 Server where you have total control over making as many RAID arrays as your heart desires and now with Vista Premium it's like I got shot in the foot. Well, more the fact Dell shot me in the foot. I called the sales office to ask about this, and the Dell reps response... "You get what you pay for!" There's no reason for a business class PC to be crippled in the way Dell has done this to its customers. Thanks to you I can now do what I should have been able to do a month ago when the Vostro arrived at my doorstep. I can finally put the case back together and enjoy a non Dell life this weekend! Thanks for the help! P.S. For those who never used a DOS prompt before, first type in dir, then see that DOS_Update.bat is listed something like DOS_Update~1 Just type in what you see there and that got it going. Now go have a beer!
  • Anyone ever try to install the two SATA ports that are missing on a board like this? It's only 7 pins to solder on. Any recommendation? I imagine it would be the same as if you accidentally broke one off then went to have it fixed. I'm also noticing that the computer won't start without having the raid used as an operating system. I was going to use the expansion card for the os, and use 4 500gb drives on the board. It's got a blue screen everytime. But as soon as I install windows on the very loud 500gb Seagates, it boots up fine. Are you using your raid with windows installed on it? Or using the raid as a seperate drive?

Message Edited by stlcraft on 01-07-2008 06:53 PM
  • What happened to the lostbrain site?  I used this for my father's 530 many years ago but mistakenly upgraded his bios when cleaning up his machine, now no more raid 5 and I can't find this file to save my life.  

Anybody out there have this file archived?

Thanks!!

• Answered your question on ther other board.