RIS deployment - Optiplex 755 - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

RIS deployment - Optiplex 755

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

RIS deployment - Optiplex 755

• Hi.

Im tryin to make a Windows XP deployment via RIS (Windows deployment tools). Im very confused. To set the network drivers took more than an our to google etc.

But I have no clue how to set up the SATA harddrive mode - RAID/AHCI to work. The Image is already on the server. I placed into

\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\WinXPFlatImage\i386
    and also into
     ..\i386\$oem$\$1\drivers\sata

these files:

iaahci.cat ; iaahci.inf ; iastor.cat ; iastor.inf ; iastor.sys . There were extracted from the Intel Matrix Storage driver from dell.com.

The Install process wrote, that I have no harddrive installed. After switching to RAID/ATA everything was OK.

What should I place to the SIF files included in the flat image to work? Or is there any other workaround??

PS> I have there images for GX620, 745 and some HP notebooks as well and every of them works without any problems....

Thanku you
  • Worko,

You would want to set the drive mode to RAID/ATA for the install.
  • Is there a way the machines can be ordered with drive operation being preset to ATA? When we do 1500 lease returns I would hate to go into the bios of each machine.
  • Radiskull,

Unfortunately, I can't find any information on if that is possible. I do know we ship custom configurations and user provided images, but I do not know about custom BIOS settings.

I would think it is certainly possible, but I can't give a positive answer.

I am sorry.
  • Elsbeth,

So I should change it to ATA for pulling down a ris image and change it back to AHCI after the image is loaded?

Wendell

Message Edited by wgramlich on 12-05-2007 12:37 PM
  • Here is how to add mass storage support for RIS images:
    See also Microsoft KB here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816299/

First you need to create a folder called Textmode in $OEM$ folder.
    Unpack all the Intel Matrix Drivers to the Textmode folder.

Open the txtsetup.oem file and verify the following line is in correct format:

[Disks]
    disk1 = "Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver", iaStor.sys, \
    Note the backslash at the end.

Then open your .sif file and add following to it:

[MassStorageDrivers]
    "Intel(R) ICH9 SATA AHCIController (Desktop ICH9R)" = "OEM"

[OEMBootFiles]
    iaStor.inf
    iaStor.cat
    IaStor.sys
    Txtsetup.oem

Verify also that the file contains the following:

[Unattended]
    OemPreinstall=Yes

Restart your RIS and it should work now to install the system with AHCI mode.
  • Thanx very much. But I have a problem... As you said - "Then open your .sif file and add following to it:". I found plenty of SIF files > >

1. Images\WinFlatImage\i386\rinorprt.sif
    2. Images\WinFlatImage\i386\ristndrd.sif
    3. Images\WinFlatImage\i386\txtsetup.sif
    4. Images\Windows_1st_department\i386\Templates\riprep.sif
    5. Images\Windows_2nd_department\i386\Templates\riprep.sif
    N. Images\Windows_Nth_department\i386\Templates\riprep.sif

So can you be more concrete, which of that SIFs should I edit to get a working RIS with i965 AHCI shipsets?

THX man
  • You need to edit the .sif which you are using udring the RIS installation or do you use a RIPREP image ? The files you need to edit is in the Templates folder. 
  • There is an error with the following on my previous post.

If you want to install the Optiplex 755 using RAID add the following to your .sif file:

[MassStorageDrivers]
    "Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller" = "OEM"

[OEMBootFiles]
    iastor.inf
    iastor.cat
    iastor.sys
    Txtsetup.oem
    And if you want to install the Optiplex 755 using AHCI add the following to your .sif file:

[MassStorageDrivers]
    "Intel(R) ICH9 SATA AHCIController (Desktop ICH9R)" = "OEM"

[OEMBootFiles]
    iaahci.inf
    iaahci.cat
    iastor.sys
    Txtsetup.oem
  • Im using a Windows 2003 service - Windows Deployment tools, but its like the old RIS. I see no changes realy. After the installation of the service, I had to insert the WinXP CD and then the application copyied the whole CD onto the server. So I am using a flat image located on the Server, and a new XP installed PC copyies its files to the server creating a new folder (e.g. Windows_10th_department) in which are the main files and folders, that are configured and installed on the last deployed PC. If you know what I mean.. I heard also, that the service Win Deploy services provides a new way of deployment, but we are using the old features of it, which are the same like RIS.
  • Hi Fibozo  

I have tried your solution, but I get this error "Setup was unable to format the partition……”

1. I created a Textmode folder in $OEM$ folder and placed all the Intel Matrix Drivers in the folder.
    2. I have verified that the txtsetup.oem file contains the following line in correct format:

[Disks]
      disk1 = "Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver", iaStor.sys, \
    3. Then added these two lines in the .sif file in the …\i386\templates folder

[MassStorageDrivers]
      "Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller" = "OEM"

[OEMBootFiles]
      iastor.inf
      iastor.cat
      iastor.sys
      Txtsetup.oem 

I have tried this procedure with OptiPlex 755 System BIOS A9 and the new A10

I have tried to replace the newest Intel Matrix Drivers with the drivers provided on the Dell CD

I have tried with all 3 SATA operation BIOS options (with the appropriate drivers)   

net stop binlsvc and net start binlsvc has been executed every time

Do you have a clue what to do with this   

Our System ConfigurationOPTIPLEX 755 DT : 80 PLUS PSU INTEL COREMEMORY : 2048MB (2X1024MB) 800MHZ DDR2 DHARD DRIVE : 160GB (7200RPM) SERIAL ATAIOPTICAL DRIVE : 16X DVD-ROM DRIVE