How to install XP on SATA?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

How to install XP on SATA?

• Hello!

I've just gotten a new Dell XPS 210 computer. It's my first computer with purely SATA drives and it's giving me some problems. I want to install Windows XP and delete Vista.

First off I can't use my normal boot CD as it doesn't find the CD-rom drive. Neither will it find an external USB CD-rom. I've tried creating a boot CD with the "gcdrom.sys" file (http://www.911cd.net/forums//lofiversion/index.php?t18722.html) but still no go.

Then I tried the Windows XP SP2 and it could boot on that but crashed with a 0x0000007B error (http://tinyurl.com/2k83y4).

Then I bought a USB floppy USB drive because I thought I could do the F6 trick to install the driver (http://tinyurl.com/378866) but it turns out the XP installation can't even see the hard drive. I think this is strange because when I boot with Partition Magic floppy disks the program CAN see the disk and I can also partition it.

"Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS will cause a 0x7B Blue Screen of Death STOP error on installations of Windows XP where AHCI/RAID drivers for that system's chipset are not installed. Switching to AHCI mode requires installing new drivers before changing the BIOS settings. "

The controller is a "Intel Serial ATA AHCI Bios Version ISRC 1.02.23". How can I find the drivers for this? I can't seem to find it on Dell's website.

What to do?

Regards
    Jimmy

• I am having exactly the same problem ! (with a brand new Dell Dimension 9200); everything you have made I did it also, it's a real headache! I am fighting with this since one week ago, I do not understand why DELL sell us such a PCs with this kind of problems without giving us any solution whatsoever! (as you can cheek on the forum there are several complains about it!). I will keep cheeking to see if somebody find any solution.

Eduardo

• There are plenty of guides on the internet on how to clean install Windows XP on a computer.  Just use google and you should be able to find the information to accomlish what you want.  You absolutely need to make sure you have all the XP drivers (including chipset drivers).  Those will not already be installed on your system since it came with Vista

That said, even if you couldn't, I don't understand the complaint about Dell selling you a computer with "this kind of problem."  When you ordered the computer from Dell you ordered it with Vista and they sent you EXACTLY what you ordered and I assume it runs with Vista.  I doubt Dell guaranteed you that it would run with any other OS.  However, that doesn't mean it won't work.  It will work if you have the drivers and do the installation correctly.  My point is that Dell is not responsible for providing this for you since they are only responsible for supporting the hardware/software that they shipped with the machine. 

I'm not trying to be harsh, but only stating facts.  In fact, I have recently ordered a new Dell desktop and wanted XP but did not have that option and had to settle for Vista.  When my computer arrives the first thing I'm going to do is install XP.  As of right now, I'm not sure if I'm going strictly with XP or keep Vista and set up a dual-boot with Vista and XP.  Anyway, best of luck in getting your systems set up the way you want and running XP.
  • It seems, Jim, that you work for Dell or you are a Dell fan...

Yes, I order my Dell with Vista, and with Vista it does works OK (even if I deeply regret Vista, a real headache, plenty of incompatibility problems for those as myself, composer, who deals with audio and music softwares).

Let me assure you that your easy solution 'just use google...' does not work at all!

- Did you order a new Dell? Good for you! (I love Dell! even if this time is a pain on the neck).
    - Will it comes whit Vista and you are thinking to install XP (dual booting or not)? :
    I think, that day you will understand us better (by suffering as well the problem).
    - I do hope you order it with a floppy disk, this way I guess you will successes installing XP;
    if not you will be soon one of us, complaining about the same problem. You will see.

Eduardo

• Eduardo, I do understand your frustration AND I wish Dell would be more helpful in this area.  I was just pointing out that they gave you what you ordered.  No, I don't work for Dell and never have (I'm actually retired from the US Air Force).  You are also correct in that I still have this situation to look forward to.  Hopefully, I'll have my new XPS 720 within the next couple of weeks.

I have read several threads in this forum with individuals who have set up the dual-boot option (on systems that came with Vista) and they are not having any problems.  I will probably go that route instead of completely replacing Vista.  That way (while I'm waiting for all my software to be upgraded to Vista compatibility) I can still experiment with Vista while mainly working in XP.  But, like I said, I'll just have to wait until I get my new computer and hope that things work. 

Again, most of the things I've read on this subject emphasize that the most important thing is to ensure you have all the correct XP drivers AND that they are installed in the correct order and at the proper time.  Without going back right now and finding those things, I think that the most important things are first the chipset drivers and then the SATA drivers.  Again, I wish you the best in this matter.

• Jimmy

I did follow your links to get a feel for what kind of problem you experience.

I suspect that you may have fallen a little short when creating your customized Windows XP install CD which is good reason for the BSOD during installation.

The post (by Ben_Mott) does go on to mention editing the \i386 to insert the correct path for the SATA DRIVER FILE INTEGRATION which in HIS case was the silicon Image raid controller based on an nForce2 motherboard which is of absolutely no help to you. The XPS 210 was built around the Intel G965 Express chip set. Consequently the drivers are forever different.

The BSOD stop error (0x0000007B) you posted is evidence  that a hardware conflict was present and suggests the installed drivers were not appropriate for your system.  

To remedy the problem you need to follow the entire post detailing the CD creation process but using substitution for the Intel G965 Express chip set driver suite in place of the nForce2 drivers.
  •  Thanks Manydimensions for your suggestions, but it does not work neither. :smileysad:

I just have follow very carefully all the instructions by Ben_Mott and make a customized Windows XP install CD with the appropriate drivers (in my case I have a Dell Dimension 9200 and I supposed that the appropriate drivers I need are the Intel Matrix Storage drivers that we may download here R158601.EXE ) and when I want to install XP, again and again I finish with the annoying BSOD...
    I am very, very, VERY, frustrated,
    I really don't know what to do,
    Please, I beg you: HELP!

Eduardo

My PC is a Dell Dimension 9200 (model DXP061)
    ACPI x86-based PC
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
    with two 250G Disk drives
    256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO

Message Edited by eaky on 08-03-2007 06:59 AM

Message Edited by eaky on 08-03-2007 06:59 AM
  • eaky, are you able to get the driver listed when pressing F6? Like this:

5.3 Pre-Installation Using the F6 Method.

Note: The Steps 1 and 2 can be skipped if you use the F6 Floppy
          disk utility provided by Intel. This utility can also be
          downloaded from the following website. These methods
          are applicable to systems configured for RAID or
          AHCI mode.

1.  Extract all driver files from the installation package.
        See section 7.2 for instructions on extracting the
        files.

2.  Create a floppy* containing the following files in the root
        directory:
        iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat,
        iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat,
        iaStor.sys, and
        TxtSetup.oem.

* Note: For Windows Vista you can use a floppy, CD/DVD or USB.

3.  For Windows XP or later operating systems:

- At the beginning of the operating system installation,
         press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

- When prompted, select 'S' to Specify Additional Device.

- Continue to step 5.

4.  For Windows Vista:

- During the operating system installation, after selecting the
         location to install Vista, click Load Driver to
    install a third
         party SCSI or RAID driver.

- Continue to step 5.

5.  When prompted, insert the media (floppy, CD/DVD
     or USB) you
        created in step 2 and press Enter.

6.  At this point you should be presented with a selection
        for one of the following depending on your hardware
        version and configuration:

- Intel(R) 82801IR/IO SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH9R)
        - Intel(R) 82801IR/IO SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH9R)
        - Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E)
        - Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E)
        - Intel(R) 82801HBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M)
        - Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH8R)
        - Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH8R)
        - Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB SATA RAID Controller (Workstation ESB2)
        - Intel(R) 82801GHM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH7RM)
        - Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH7M)
        - Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)
        - Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)

7.  Highlight the selection that is appropriate for the
        hardware in your system and press Enter.

8.  Press Enter again to continue. Leave the floppy disk in
        the system until the next reboot as the software will
        need to be copied from the floppy disk again when setup
        is copying files.
  • NOT at all Jimmy!
    What am I doing wrong?
    How did you get to see the list of drivers you mention?
    Have you finally succeed installing XP?

Eduardo
  • No, but I'll try again this weekend. I'll let you know what happens.
  • I will also keep trying to get the solution, we need to go trough this nightmare to install XP.
    You let me know if you succeed as I will let you know also.
    Thanks Jimmy

Eduardo

• I will also keep trying to get the solution, we need to go trough this nightmare to install XP.
    You let me know if you succeed, as I will let you know also.
    Thanks Jimmy

Eduardo

• Jimmy, good news! : After about 2 weeks of fighting, I just have got to install XP (and Vista afterward in dual booting). In order to do so I had to sacrify having my two 250G disk drives on RAID-On (BE AWARE that making so, EVERYTHING in your PC will be gone! Make a backup of your files before proceeding!).

This is the procedure you have to follow:
    1) boot you Dell
    2) wait until Ctrl+I to enter the storage manager RAID configuration
    3) delete all the RAID of yours drives (be aware that making so everything will be deleted!)
    4) your drives will be now NON-RAID drives
    5) Exit the storage manager RAID configuration
    6) You will be now able to install XP (and Vista afterwards if you wish double booting)

As I have said, I have to sacrify having the disks on RAID-ON, but to tell the true I really don't know what are the real advantage (or disadvantage...) of the RAID or NON RAID configurations...; I don't care neither!: XP (and Vista) is now running and I don't have to kill more hours on these irritating problems.   I do not know if this procedure works also for your XPS (I have a Dimension 9200), but you are free to try (if you are willing to erase your drives and begin everything from scratch...).

Regards
    Eduardo

• I'm glad to hear your problem is solved Edurado. Unfortunately my XPS 210 doesn't run RAID but AHCI so I can't follow your example.

I've tried with 2 drivers for the AHCI controller but still no go. I might think it will work if I choose to run ATA on my hard drives and then install XP. When it's running I can install the AHCI driver and change the ATA to ACHI in bios afterwards.

I wanted to write Dell about this but their contact site is down at the moment. :smileymad:
  • Assume you already tried Intel's site, eg...