Mouse / Keyboard Failure on Dimension 3100

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Mouse / Keyboard Failure on Dimension 3100

• Hi all, I have a Dimension 3100 that is about a year and a half old (out of warranty I'm afraid). The mouse and keyboard (both USB devices) will work for about 10seconds once I power on the PC. Once the 'Windows XP' logo appears on screen the mouse and keyboard are dead and I can't get them to work after that. The mouse I have is an optical one (so its easy see if its working or not) I've tried the mouse in different USB ports but it appears that the power to all USB ports is killed once the XP logo appears. The only way of using the mouse and keyboard are via USB, there are no dedicated ports. Any suggestions appreciated .. Thanks.
  • Did you try:

pulling and reinserting the USB connectors once Windows starts.

deleting the USB ports from Windows and letting them be redetected.

reinstalling the chipset drivers.

Peter
  • Hi Peter, Thanks for your reply. I have tried pulling and re-inserting the USB connectors once Windows starts, but it seems like there is no power going to the USB ports once Windows starts up (but the ports do work just before the Windows logo appears). When you mention deleting the USB ports from Windows - can you do this on startup, because once Windows has started both my keyboard and mouse are dead so I don't have any way of changing settings. Sean
  • This is a common problem caused by misbehaving programs.
    Try starting Windows in Safe mode then deleting the usb from control panel hardware.