fan noise

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

fan noise

• i have a dell dimension 8250 which is 5 years old. it has recently started to make excessive noise from the area of the fan in the rear of the computer. if anyone has had similiar problems with their pc and has found a solution to this problem, i would appreciate your advise on how to remedy my fan problem.
  • bpk1

Power supply fan or case/processor fan, or maybe the video card has fan?

If it's the case fan, open the case and give the fan, heatsink and all the components inside the case a thorough cleaning with canned compressed air [read the instructions prior to use], also check that the air intakes in the front panel are cleaned of any dust or debris.

Should this fails to correct the fan noise problem, then replace the proprietary Dell fan/shroud unit.

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• The 8250 will have either 2 or 3 fans.

Processor Fan (Under Plastic Schroud) Unlug it from the motherboard, then start the system, see if the noise is gone (Short runs of a couple minutes will not hurt the system)

Video Card Fan (May have a fan, May not)  If the video card has a fan, then remove the video card, and start the system.

If the noise remains after those tests then it is most likely your power supply cooling fan

Donald Kempf

Inspiron E1505 /XPS 10 Windows 8

Dimension 8400 Windows XP/Vista/8

#IWork4Dell

• I'm in the same boat with the fan noise, same older 8250.  How do you know if the fan is going bad versus something telling the PC to run the fan quicker?

If one were to order a new fan & shroud, where is the best place to purchase?  Thanks in advance!

• chfsfn2

You can buy the replacement fan from Dell Spare Parts.

When a fan starts to fail, you usually receive a "Alert! Previous Fan Failure. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility" error message on boot up.

Have you tried cleaning the fan and heatsink?

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Thanks for the link to the Dell Spare Parts!  I did try cleaning with compressed air, didnt seem to make a difference.

I have not seen the error message, which makes me think that the fan isnt going bad, just running more loudly than it used to.  Is there a setting or something somewhere that I can check?
  • chfsfn2

Did you check the the heatsink and the air intakes in the front panel under the lift up door, are clean?

There are no settings, in your system, that can be changed. The fan's speed is controlled by a temperature sensor on the fan itself that monitors the air temperature passing through it.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• I did check the air intakes, but not sure on the heatsink.  What exactly does the heatsink look like?  Been inside the case before, but a relative novice at it.  Thanks!
  • chfsfn2

This document should help.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• My goodness!
    I extended my warranty by 2 years, and I have 50 days left on my warranty...
    I just thought the computer got super hot or something, but mine too sounds like a jet plane taking off.   In fact, I will have it in my office, with door closed, walk across the condo to my bedroom, close the door and STILL hear it whining like crazy.
    My wife has made me shut it off if i am not using it all the time...

HA!  Who knew my old 8250 still had issues... besides this fan issue...  this puppy is still running like a race horse!

Thanks for all the good info in this post!  I'm off to get this replaced!

-------------------
    Dell 8250, Christmas 2002, 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAMBUS RAM - Purring like a... JET ENGINE...
  • rikardkrvaric

Good luck and hope everything works out.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001