Optiplex GX620 - internal media card reader?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Optiplex GX620 - internal media card reader?

• Hi,

I wan't to put an internal media card reader in my Optiplex GX920 Tower. I have an empty 3,5 inch and also an empty 5,25 inch bay.

I bought a standard type off the shelf, but there doesn't seem to be the right connecor on the Optiplex motherboard.

Are ther any internal media card readers that will fit to my computer? Names and numbers will be very much appreciated.

Or is there a way to attach a standard-reader to my optiplex? (It has a USB-cable that is supposed to fit on the motherboard where the computers USB-connections attach)

Thank you very much

Jesper, Denmark

• Jesperben wrote:
    I want to put an internal media card reader in my Optiplex GX620 Tower.

[snip]

Are there any internal media card readers that will fit to my computer? Names and numbers will be very much appreciated.
    Or is there a way to attach a standard-reader to my optiplex? (It has a USB-cable that is supposed to fit on the motherboard where the computers USB-connections attach)

First, you won’t get the USB card reader you have now to attach directly to the motherboard; that connector isn’t present in the GX620.  Dell didn’t get around to adding an on-die USB connector until the 745 came out.  And if there is such an animal for sale as a memory card reader that uses the COM2 motherboard connector, I’ve not been able to find it.  About the only way I can see to make your reader work is to find yourself a USB expansion card someplace and attach the reader to that.
  • I would check with Dell.

This one may work fine.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0812810&cs=19&c=us&l=en

Manufacturer Part# : JU-91RW12-S4
    Dell Part# : A0812810

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Thank you both.

SpeedStep, the card reader you suggest looks fine. But this description makes me wonder if I'll get the same problem her: "It connects to the internal USB port of your system".?

Thanks for your effort

Jesperben

• Jesperben wrote:
    Thank you both.
    SpeedStep, the card reader you suggest looks fine. But this description makes me wonder if I'll get the same problem her: "It connects to the internal USB port of your system".?

I think that’s exactly what will happen. It’s presuming that you have an on-die USB connector, and you don’t. Perhaps this might be a solution for you, since the reviewer explicitly mentions its having an internal USB connector on the card.
  • Thats super, I'll get one if I can find it - looks a bit seldom these days.

Thank you for using your time to help me, that's very kind of you,

VH
    Jesper
  • I'm curious to know if that adapter worked and allowed you to install the memory card reader. I am looking at how to install one in my GX620.