Keyboard and Mouse will not work

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Keyboard and Mouse will not work

• The computer only has usb ports for the mouse and keybaord. The keybaord will work to put it into boot mode,safe mode, etc. , and i put the driver and utility disk in and the mouse works and keyboard works there to select things.

The problem is when Windows XP load screen comes up with the bar going left to right at bottom, the keyboard light shuts off after the 2nd or 3rd time through and nothing through the usb ports will work. I can put a disk in and the setup screen comes up but I can't move the mouse or keyboard to start it.

It is a Dimension E310 , 1 year old in March so the warranty is 2 months out of date

I have plugged the keyboard and mouse into every single port and it will not work in windows but does before windows starts.
    I have unplugged the computer and held the power button to reset flea power.

• See if you can get to Windows Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key before Windows starts to load.  If you can do that, try to use System Restore to set the registry back to a time when all was working ok.  After that make certain you do a virus and malware scan.  For more expert assistance go to the Software/Virus/Spyware forum or to the Software/HijackThis forum.  If you can't get back to a time when all was working well, you may need to reinstall Windows to fix this problem.

If you decide to reinstall Windows, try the PC Restore feature first as it saves time and energy.  Don't forget to try to get your data off the drive before you do anything in the way of a reinstallation as the procedure will replace all your data and any programs you installed with the software that was on the disk the day you got it.

Dell Forum member since 2005

• I did go into safe mode and system restore still has the problem.
    I can not do any kind of scans cause the keyboard and mouse won't work.

Dell only gave me a reboot disk for an extra 10 dollars, they did not have the option to get the windows xp disk, and the reboot disk got me to the same place as without it and when I put the disk in with windows started I can't click on the buttons, cause the mouse won't work.

The keyboard and mouse work right up till windows starts loading. Is there anything I can do from before that point to make changes that will help?

• The Dell XP CD does not reset the hard drive to "as shipped". It's a full copy of XP, not a "reboot" disk. It only installs XP, not any drivers or software, which you must install separately.

You could try doing a repair/reinstall of XP. Boot from XP CD and press ENTER, not R at the first screen. XP User License should appear. Accept the license and press R at next screen for repair/reinstall.

You will have to reinstall all XP updates and hotfixes after the repair/reintall but personal files and software shouldn't be harmed.

Unfortunately, there have been a number of posts with this problem lately, and the only fix has been either PC Restore which resets the hard drive to 'as shipped' or a full reformat/reinstall. So I hope all your personal stuff is backed up on CD, if the repair/reinstall doesn't work, because both PC Restore and reformat will delete all your files.

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• QFAH,

Sorry to high-jack this thread but the problem you experience is indeed common to Dell Dimension and Optiplex computers both ATX and BTX designs.

For some odd reason all or part of the USB ports become unresponsive. This is a Dell proprietary glitch that has carried over from the older ATX motherboard designs.

Everything works fine as long as the BIOS has not passed the control over to the O/S, then the USB ports become lazy.

One quick work around that we have tried enables only the BTX designs;
    Dell Part #F3636 (this is a serial and PS/2 adapter)
    Dell Part #F3636  slips into a vacant adapter card slot on the backplane, while the other end plugs into a proprietary (flexbay) adapter plug on the motherboard on most Optiplex and Dimension BTX design computers. This allows the user to attach either or both PS/2 keyboard and/or PS/2 mouse thus permitting navigation at Windows startup and later restoring the USB ports.

One side note;
    If you later remove the Dell Part #F3636, the problem may return.

Message Edited by ManyDimensions on 05-10-2007 09:07 PM
  • QFAH:

I would suggest that you buy an external drive shell and connect it to the computer you are using if it has USB 2.0 ports.  This will allow you to copy any data you may wish to save onto the computer that is apparently working.  You can then copy the data to whatever removable media you wish, such as a USB memory key.  From the way things seem to be going I would have to agree with RoHe.  Attempting to correct a problem like this is an exercise in frustration even when you have a working keyboard.  My approach would be to completely zero out the the drive either by a fresh installation of Windows or by use of Dell PC Restore.

Dell Forum member since 2005