Dual parallel port PCI card on Dell XPS 410 w/ Vista

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dual parallel port PCI card on Dell XPS 410 w/ Vista

• I am attempting to add a dual parallel port PCI card to my brand-new Dell XPS 410 desktop system (Intel Core 2 Duo E6600) running Vista Ultimate (32 bit). The SIIG cards listed on the Dell web site don't show Vista as being supported. SIIG's site shows a new version, the CyberParallel Dual PCIe, part # JJ-E02011-S1, as supporting Vista (32 bit), but this card is not listed for sale by Dell.

Does anyone have experience in doing what I am attempting to do? Dell's Customer Service didn't have an answer and I can't get a response from Dell's Tech Support.

BTW, I tried a similar card from LAVA Mfg. which failed and their Technical Support staff said there was no fix. They noted that while the card had Vista support, that it had a un-resolvable conflict with the type of motherboard used in the new Dell XPS series. Is there a better way to proceed other than buying a card to see if it works or not? (This can get expensive, not to mention frustrating!)

Any help is very much appreciated.
  • I do not know what type of device you need to connect. You may want to replace the item with one which  uses Vista Windows.

Message Edited by ctalia4000 on 04-23-2007 06:15 PM

• ctalia4000 wrote:

I do not know what type of device you need to connect. You may want to replace the item with one which uses Vista Windows.

Message Edited by ctalia4000 on 04-23-2007 06:15 PM

They are simply 2 Hewlett-Packard printers: one is a LaserJet and the other is a DeskJet. They are working fine and I didn't see the need to replace them. I don't know that they especially care about the operating system - they just need a parallel port to connect to. I'd like to get them hooked up without blindly buying another I/O card that may or may not work. Has anyone already done this and found a combination that works?

• They are simply 2 Hewlett-Packard printers: one is a LaserJet and the other is a DeskJet. They are working fine and I didn't see the need to replace them. I don't know that they especially care about the operating system - they just need a parallel port to connect to. I'd like to get them hooked up without blindly buying another I/O card that may or may not work. Has anyone already done this and found a combination that works?

Your HP printers will  need Vista Window drivers. http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Message Edited by ctalia4000 on 04-24-2007 06:43 AM
  • Well, maybe or maybe not. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The point is that I first need to find a compatible mix for hardware to give me parallel port functionality. I've already wasted money on one incompatible I/O card and would like to avoid doing so again.

I'm wondering if anyone else has walked through this particular minefield and can tell me what to look out for and which I/O cards work and which don't.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob Kiser
  • Have you try a cable adapter USB to parallel? 
    In my opinion, it may be easyer to mannage the instalation of the printers with it.
  • Well, I did not know there was such a thing. I'll look into it. Perhaps this cat can be skinned in multiple ways.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Bob Kiser
  • Try this link as an example,

• Robert, Parallel or LPT ports are built in to vista and all windows, linux, mac etc OS's so you do not need anything for the card you listed and you will get better results using it instead of the usb to lpt converters which work but have problems. The problems are ports disappearing and having to remove the usb plug and insert it, reboots etc.