Ethernet Connector - can't find driver - please help

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Ethernet Connector - can't find driver - please help

• I have a dell dimension 4550 computer with windows xp. Had a trojan problem and had to reformat hardrive. Now, the ethernet connector cannot find the drivers. The ethernet connector appears in device manager with a yellow question mark under other devices. Tried installing from driver cd disk straight and at startup. Doesn't work. Chatted with dell support online and was given new drivers and chipset to download (solved two other issues in other devices). I installed but it still cant find it. Had technician go into computer but he couldnt seem to find it.

I think what has to be done is one must know the specific location of driver file from the download example : c:/dell/etc and enter that in the new hardward found process.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks
  • Actually, the ethernet connector now is green with a yellow exclamation point under network adaptors. It says:
    This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
    To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Cant find driver
  • actually it says, can't install hardware
  • Try this... directions for install are at the bottom of the page...

• thank you - how can i determine the type of ethernet conneector driver I need?
  • here are the instructions:

Click Start, Right-click the My Computer icon, click Properties.

2.       Click the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button.

3.       Click the + next to Network Adapters.  Right click on the appropriate network adapter, click Properties.

4.       Click on the Driver tab, click the Update Driver button.

5.       Select Install from a list of specified location (Advanced), click Next.

6.       Click Don’t Search, I will choose the driver to install, click Next

7.       Click the Have Disk button.

8.       Verify that A: is entered in the Copy manufacturer’s files from box or use the Browse

button to point to the directory the driver was extracted to. (i.e. c:\dell\drivers\….)

9.       Click OK to install the driver.

10.   Verify that Intel® PRO/100 M Network Connection or Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection is highlighted.

11.   Click Next, click Finish.

If I click a - its says nothing found - there is a browse button but what do i select?

Message Edited by Danstar on 03-17-2007 06:29 PM
  • This is from your tech manual... scroll down to "network".

And note on the last link above for the Intel 10/100 Ethernet driver, it says for the 4550. These are the instructions given with that link...

Installation Instructions

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with HTML Pop-Up Window for
    R52043.EXE

Download
    1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
    2.When the File Download window appears, click Save this program to
    disk (Windows XP users, click Save) and click OK. The Save In: window
    appears.
    3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
    select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
    4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
    name icon appears on your desktop.

Install
    1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R52043.EXE.
    The Self-Extractor window appears.
    2.Click OK or Continue.
    The Self-Extracting Driver Installation window appears and prompts to
    extract files to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043.
    3.Leave all of the default settings and click Unzip or OK. If the
    directory doesn't exist, you'll be prompted to create one. Click Yes. A
    Self Extractor window appears and indicates C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043 files were
    extracted.
    4.Click OK.
    Follow the on-screen installation instructions in the window.

HTML Pop-Up With Install Now Button
    1.The Dell Software Installation Documentation window appears.
    2.Click the Install Now button. A File Download window appears.
    3.Click Run this program from its current location and click OK.
    The Security Warning window appears.
    4.Click Yes. The InstallShield Wizard window appears.
    5.Follow the on-screen instructions.

Message Edited by kdmphx on 03-17-2007 06:32 PM
  • Thanks. Is there a way I can determine the path of where the driver files were extracted too?
  • see step 2 in the above install procedure...

2.Click OK or Continue.
    The Self-Extracting Driver Installation window appears and prompts to
    extract files to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043.

Message Edited by kdmphx on 03-17-2007 06:35 PM
  • says no information about hardware with C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043

thanks for your help
  • does anyone know how to get the driver on? I've tried everything over the course of two days, i really need the ethernet to work in order to use my dsl as a network - i would like to avoid having to buy  a new computer
  • Danstar,

If you've followed the directions given by Dell in the download section and it didn't work, I suggest you make a new post stating that. You'll get more people to possibly answer your question. Right now, you and I are seeing this post but others may be missing it.

• Hi, yes I have followed it - even a tech did it live on my computer (through dell.com/remote) and he could not do it.

I'll give a little more background and start from the beginning. I reformatted my hard drive. I reinstalled verizon dsl. That's when i noticed that something was off because it wasn't offering an ethernet connection option in the installation process - only usb. The ethernet wouldn't work at all when i tried linking the dsl modem directly with ethernet to the computer or through a lynksys router- only the usb - which I'm using now. So I called verizon and they were like, did it work in the past and I said yes. Call lynksys. So I called lynksys and they said contact verizon. Called V back and they said no, its probably a driver error. So then contacted Dell and they gave me the downloads - drivers and chipset update. This did fix two problems (a yellow on usb connection and another yellow on something else - both under "other devices") but not the ethernet connection.

Maybe the issue is not a driver but some kind of poorly configured ethernet connector? There is no identification of what brand or anything that the ethernet connector is - its unkown.
  • Danstar,

Try one more thing. If this doesn't work, please make a new post. Go to Linksys and download LELA. It their networking tool to establish a home network. I assume you're using Linksys equipment.

I'm sorry I can't help you. I know when you reinstall XP, the chipset drivers first.

-------------------------------------------------------

Just saw you fixed your problem...Great! If you're using a Linksys router, make sure its' firmware has been updated and run the LELA program above. It will configure your network automatically.

Message Edited by kdmphx on 03-18-2007 10:58 AM
  • Hi. Thanks for trying to help. Everything is fine now. The lynksys router installed beautifully - it was never the issue. The issue was getting the ethernet driver updated. The important part of the whole thing (after updated chipset and downloading drivers) was indentifying the exact path of the driver/file folder from the download so the ethernet connector could update.

That path apparently must include the folder of the OS (in C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043 - there is a list of folders for different os's) - in my case winxp. So, in this step here:

Verify that A: is entered in the Copy manufacturer’s files from box or use the Browse

button to point to the directory the driver was extracted to. (i.e. c:\dell\drivers\….)

9.       Click OK to install the driver.

10.   Verify that Intel® PRO/100 M Network Connection or Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection is highlighted.

11.   Click Next, click Finish.

I set the path as C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043\WINXP in that  A:  field and it worked.

(Note - I forget the exact case of the spelling of the winxp folder)

Anyway, all is well.

Message Edited by Danstar on 03-18-2007 12:40 PM