dimension 4700 - how replace hard drive?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

dimension 4700 - how replace hard drive?

• My dimension 4700 starts to boot up but dies shortly after starting the xp reboot.  The RAM and hard drive pass the DOS diagnostics.  I cannot move into SAFE mode in DOS.  I think the xp files got corrupted.  If I use a new hard drive, will my xp reload from the disc?  ( of course, I did not save the restart point data.)  Someone said the xp reload would not work from the reload CD to a new hard drive because of license protections.  How do I approach Dell about a new hard drive and get it to recognize my xp reload CD?  Do I have to ask Dell for a new hard drive with new xp SP2 software already loaded (and pay for xp again)?  I do not so much mind paying for a new hard drive but not paying again for another xp license and I do not want to go to Vista, especially with the PC acting up.  suggestions?:smileysad:
  • Does not make sense.   I have two new hard drives that I upgraded over the years with the same Dell Windows XP installation disk.  No issues.  Did a clean install.  Did not have to call anyone, ever

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100

• tommie2

You can install any new SATA hard drive and use the Dell XP reinstallation disk, that came with the system, to reinstall windows without a problem.

If your system is not under warranty, then try to buy either a Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung or Hitachi. Avoid Maxtor.

Check the lenght of the warranty, there's one to five years [Seagate] on hard drives.

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thank you.  Then there is more hope. 

It is confusing.

I know little. 

Not being able to get into DOS safe mode seems strange.  I can get into the DOS command screen but it will not recognize the hard drive.  I cannot figure out if some of the RAM is bad or the hard drive is bad or if the xp library files might be bad.  The RAM and hard drive pass the DOS diagnostics.

Thoughts?

• Oops!  I can get into the DOS command mode but it will not recognize the hard drive which has  the xp reload CD in it.
  • tommie2

You don't use DOS to install XP. The XP disk is bootable.

Maybe this reinstallation guide can help.

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thank you very much!

I will post how it goes.

:smileyhappy: