Blue screen: Invalid_Kernel_Handle

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Blue screen: Invalid_Kernel_Handle

• Hi,

I have problems with my new Dimension 9200 (WindowsXPPro) showing a lot of Blue Screens with Stop Error: Invalid_Kernel_Handle.
    I am not entirely sure, but as far as I can remember, this crash always happended when transfering large amount of data via network (computer is running in a little home environment, connected to a gigabit switch).
    As I said, I think it always happens during tranfering data, for example for backup purpose.

I am also pretty sure, that it never crashed when transfering the same data via usb to an external usb drive.

Is there a solution for this nasty problem?

best,
    Walli
    P.S I didn´t change hardware so far.

• Walli wrote:
    Hi,

I have problems with my new Dimension 9200 (WindowsXPPro) showing a lot of Blue Screens with Stop Error: Invalid_Kernel_Handle.
    I am not entirely sure, but as far as I can remember, this crash always happended when transfering large amount of data via network (computer is running in a little home environment, connected to a gigabit switch).
    As I said, I think it always happens during tranfering data, for example for backup purpose.

I am also pretty sure, that it never crashed when transfering the same data via usb to an external usb drive.

Is there a solution for this nasty problem?

best,
    Walli
    P.S I didn´t change hardware so far.

There are other forum members that can be of better assistance than I, but I suspect it is a time-out handler that is causing the problem. Hopefully the better educated will chime in here....
  • walli can you please indicate the stop error number so that i now what specific error is that.. sample: stop:0x0000001E...just write down the stop number...
  • hope this might help you..http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=183169 and last is http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=137539

just try the first one.
  • this is my Stop Error number (hope I did count correct ;-) )

0x00000093 (0x000002F4, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000,)
  • are you using a modem? is that a 3rd party hardware?

• if you're using a modem, you need to download and nstall the latest modem drivers from support.dell.com. hope that will fix the problem.
  • no, I am using the Gigabit Ethernet to get access to the web (via Router), I am not using a modem.
  • if you're using an ethernet, you need to download and install the latest driver of your ethernet and that will solve the blue screen error.
  • hm, the device manager tells me, that the driver of my Intel(R) 82566DC GigabitNetworkconnectionis this version: 9.4.21.0

The one from dell driver site says: 9.4.17
  • Walli

My response was tied to the gigabit controller being the culprit.

Here is a scenario:

Computer A = Dell Dimension 9100 with onboard gigabit ethernet BroadComm controller.
    Computer B= Generic build with 10/100 Ethernet Lan adapter.

Both computers A and B are on a gigabit hub with with auto switching. Here is where you get into a time-out handler problem. If the data from B to A gets packeted, then B to A stalls causing an error. Too many errors in a session may cause read / write errors on A thus contributing to the BSD.
    I have known of 100Mb file transfers to corrupt on a fiber optic LAN. It does happen.

I am not certain, but suspect this is the problem.  

Message Edited by ManyDimensions on 01-22-200704:48 AM

• if that's the case, you need to uninstall and reinstall the driver if you have the updated version.
  • since that you have the updated version, you need uninstall the driver and reinstall it..i apologize for the delay reply on this thread..
  • well, the backup "machine" is a gigabit NAS (BuffaloLinkstation).
    Is there a way, how I can check for to many errors? Logfile or something like that?
    By the way, it worked on my older machine (also GigabitLan) without problems, so I thought it also should worrk on a brandnew Dell.
  • You have every reason to believe it should work.
    Yes there are log files for network errors.
    Depends on the OS you are using where they are located.