Dell Optiplex GX270 blown capacitors

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Optiplex GX270 blown capacitors

• This Optiplex GX270 has about 3 blown capacitors they have bulged at the top and brown stuff had oozed ' out of them. Now I know that Dell has had this problem with them. So what do you suggest that I do about this problem ? If the ones that you can see are replaced' what about the others that might go bad. And if so what is the cost of another MOBO ? Below is some stuff about this problem.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

http://www.epinions.com/content_3906576516

My symptoms are 1,2 and 3, and sometimes 7.

Most common symptoms of capacitor failure:

1. Failure to boot.
    2. Must attempt booting several times before machine will start.
    3. Instability, especially when graphics are complex.
    4. Machine boots with a pre-Coppermine Celeron but will not boot with a PIII Coppermine.
    5. Bad odor wafts about the room and this time it wasn't you or the dog.
    6. Bios health alarm (hi-low siren) at boot but PC health screen shows no reason for the alarm.
    7. Fans spin up, power indicator lights up and nothing else happens.
  • contact dell support, if you are in the US they should send you a replacement motherboard.
  • Dell Europe are replacing the boards too.
  • https://ascp.monmouth.army.mil/scp/downloads/news/OOW_Support_Customer_Letter.pdf

Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280
    Out of Warranty Support Program

Dell™ will provide out of warranty coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex™SX270(UFF), GX270, GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors for 5 years from date of purchase, or until 31-January-2008, whichever comes first.

We request that customers with qualifying systems contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965. Please note, affected parts will not be dispatched through the WPD program and therefore will not be eligible for labor reimbursement.

For Systems Under Warranty

If a desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors, contact Dell Technical Support to have the motherboard replaced as per the existing Warranty Service coverage contract.

For Systems Out of Warranty

If a desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors and is still within the time period described below, contact Dell Technical Support to have the motherboard replaced at no charge per Dell's Next Business Day service coverage program.

The motherboard replacement program is valid for 5 years from the original date of purchase of the system or January 31, 2008, whichever occurs first. Systems that fall outside the motherboard replacement offer terms may be repaired under Dell's Out of Warranty service program.

Products Affected:

SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

GX270 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

GX280 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Speedstep came to the rescue once again. Way to go!

Dell is honoring the replacement of the boards even if the machine is out of warranty.

If you have GX280's you might want to be pro-active in checking the motherboards. The capacitors are starting to blow these. It is usually the three capacitors right under the power supply that are bubbling up.

Message Edited by patrickacox on 11-08-2006 01:08 PM

• Yeah' but what if you are the second owner'even if you have the' service tag and express service tag numbers ?
  • My understanding is that Dell provided (provides) a mechanism for transferring ownership when a new owner takes over a system. I assume they expect this to happen at the same time as actual ownership is changing, rather than far in the future. When I call in a problem, one of the first things support does is to have me confirm what organization (owner) I represent and is the owner of record of that particular unit.
  • Yeah I had saw that online' thank you.