Looking for Quiet dell - Optiplex 745 vs 620/520? Dimension vs Optiplex? - please help!

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Looking for Quiet dell - Optiplex 745 vs 620/520? Dimension vs Optiplex? - please help!

• I am trying to figure out which of Dell's computers run quietest. I have to use voice recognition software because I am disabled and I need a machine that is both powerful and quiet. Am considering Optiplex 620/520 - have heard they are quiet. How is the 745? One posting said it was noisier but isnt the chip supposed to run cooler? I thought the 745 might be quieter because it uses less energy but am nervouse given what I've heard....Please help!
  • Intel says it runs cooler. They also say that they use less power.

Whether or not thats really true remains to be seen.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• With the exception of the other guy whose machine clearly had a problem causing it to be loud, the 745's I've seen are very quiet... At least as quiet as the platform it replaces.
  • Tnx. I talked to someone who said that the Dimension 9200 is quiet, and it is indeed marketed as being quiet. But if you look at the specs, the noise emissions (with a pentium d chip) of the 9200 are louder than the Optiplex (with a Core 2 Duo), use more nergy, etc. But they do not market the optiplex 745 as being quiet. ???? Any guesses which would be quieter or which is the quieter machine?
  • The Mac Mini.  Whisper quiet Core Duo machine.  Runs XP via Bootcamp.

Personally I think its absolute piece of junk and a flop just like the CUBE was but it IS quiet.

A misguided nephew bought me one for my birthday.    I havent got the heart to tell him its a nice doorstop.

A dimension B110 beats the mini but its not quiet.
    Even though the B110 is low end it can be expanded with PCI X1300 video card.

Runs Vista RC2 just fine.

• The Opti 745 with a Core 2 Duo should make less fan noise than a 9200 (non-Core 2 Duo) because the newer processor uses a LOT less power than the Pentium D. 
  • Tnx. Well, if I get the Dimension 9200, I will get the Core 2 Duo as well.  I meant that the environmental data sheets that show that the 9200 is louder than the 745 is based on a 9200 with a core 2 duo. So basically I am trying to figure out whether the opti 745 or the dimension 9200 with both having the same core 2 duo - which would be quieter? I would think hte 9200 would be louder because it has more graphics, etc. But it is marketed as being really quiet. Also is GHZ speed going to increase heat and thus noise as you go up in speed? So confused....
  • My last message had a typo. Read this instead:

Tnx. Well, if I get the Dimension 9200, I will get the Core 2 Duo as well.  I meant that the environmental data sheets that show that the 9200 is louder than the 745 is based on a 9200 with a pentium d. So basically I am trying to figure out whether the opti 745 or the dimension 9200 with both having the same core 2 duo - which would be quieter? I would think hte 9200 would be louder because it has more graphics, etc. But it is marketed as being really quiet. Also is GHZ speed going to increase heat and thus noise as you go up in speed? So confused....
  • My last message had a typo. Read this instead:

Tnx. Well, if I get the Dimension 9200, I will get the Core 2 Duo as well.  I meant that the environmental data sheets that show that the 9200 is louder than the 745 is based on a 9200 with a pentium d. So basically I am trying to figure out whether the opti 745 or the dimension 9200 with both having the same core 2 duo - which would be quieter? I would think hte 9200 would be louder because it has more graphics, etc. But it is marketed as being really quiet. Also is GHZ speed going to increase heat and thus noise as you go up in speed? So confused....

Wny can't the Dell salesmen answer these questions accurately???
  • The same reason used car salesmen never answer questions accurately.

• I received a 9200 last week and am disappointed in the noise level.  It's not as silent as the Dell marketing people would lead you to believe.   Compared to the dell optiplex gx620 I bought last summer, the 9200 is loud. If you want absolute silence the 9200 is not the way to go.

I tried a mac mini but it isn't as quiet as it appears.  Yes, at idle it cannot be heard but the minute you start taxing the processor by dragging windows around the desktop or scrolling windows or playing video then the fan ramps up and it is loud.  it is annoying to constantly have the fans ramping up and down.  that case is just too small to allow for quiet cooling.

i am shopping for an outlet gx620 mini tower version, hopefully it will be quiet.  but i have heard good things about the dimension 5150 and the xps 410....if anyone has owned these systems i would like ot knwo just how quiet they are....i am lokng for something so quiet that in a silent room you can't tell that it is on.   

Message Edited by roblim on 10-28-2006 10:09 PM

• what are the specs on the gx620 and the 9200 you bought?
  • I got my GX620 (Intel Pentium D Processor 945) and it is much quieter than the 9200 (E6400 CPU) but  it is not a silent machine.  I'm satisfied with the GX620's performance as it replaces a Dell 400SC.  The GX came better equipped in some ways (2x the storage, DVD-r, 2 GB RAM, and all the OS discs + Acrobat standard) for $100 less than the 9200.  I know how much better the core duos are but the pentium d was a good choice for me. I'm not looking for a machine to run vista yet.