I can't get the assess cover off the XPS 700!

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

I can't get the assess cover off the XPS 700!

• for some reason after pulling the latch on the 700 I can't lift off the cover of the 700. I don't want to yank the lever too much in case it breaks off!

any ideas?
  • It was very difficult for me as well but you shouldn't break the latch first pull nothing second pull corner close to latch came open pulled corner a little and hit latch a few more times finally popped free.
  • Guys, I had the same problem and in fact, now I cannot get the cover off at all!!!

Read this post: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=xps_desk_genhdw&message.id=24407
  • I think it is so stiff it is more like wedged in!
  • When you get the case off you will notice a bracket at the bottom that helps keep the spacing of the pci card I think this bracket is creating a fair amount of back pressure on the latching system thus the troubles in opening the case. I don not see an issue leaving the bracket out (pops in and out) thus making the panel easier to operate.
  • is this bracket to keep the cards in place?

maybe Chris M can shed some light?

how about pushing the panel and then trying to open it?

to be honest I have given up!

• chama98 wrote:
    is this bracket to keep the cards in place?

maybe Chris M can shed some light?

how about pushing the panel and then trying to open it?

to be honest I have given up!

Why?

So he can go back and delete it later, so as to cover themselves?  Not gonna happen...

Bub

• I am at work now I will get better pictures tonight.
  • soory but what is this bracket for again?
  • That bracket is to keep the vid cards stable during shipping. It can be removed once you get it.

• Hmbre97 wrote:
    That bracket is to keep the vid cards stable during shipping. It can be removed once you get it.

Really? Wow. I have been wondering what that huge chunk of plastic is there for. I dont recall reading in the user manual that it can be removed.

• Xecuter2 wrote:

Hmbre97 wrote:
    That bracket is to keep the vid cards stable during shipping. It can be removed once you get it.

Really? Wow. I have been wondering what that huge chunk of plastic is there for. I dont recall reading in the user manual that it can be removed.

Me either. I wonder if that is why I can't open my case now. Who knows... :smileysad:
  • I don't think you are supposed to remove it nor should it interfere with the door.  All Dell BTX cases have that same type of assembly and they don't have the problem.
    If you know yours got or gets in the way then that is a design flaw, period.

• I pull lever on back door opens without any problems...
  • You can remove that expansion card latch unit. Mine didn't even come with one (I guess since there was only a single 7900gs in the entire computer).

I'm really curious about this problem opening the sidedoor, though. I know there is a metal stub located in the middle of the handle that is connected to the sidedoor and will not move if you pull on that instead of the surrounding area of the handle. Have you tried pulling the handle from the top & bottom outside edges? It takes hardly any force to open the thing. That immovable metal stub is located RIGHT where most people would intuitively pull. I was certainly tuggin on that thing my first attempt..

Message Edited by HavePatience on 08-25-200601:05 AM