Fan utility

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Fan utility

• I would like to know if there is a fan monitoring utility for my PC?  I don't want to do anyhting but see how hot my processor is.  Please don't refer me to md5 hash, its a thousand years old and even Dell doesn't know what motherboard I have. 

All I want to do is SEE how hot my processor is getting.
  • http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
  • I thought Dell's lacked a tempature sensor on the motherboard.
  • You are right, that program dener recommended won't work.  Dell PCs do lack temp sensors on the CPU/motherboard.  The only way to monitor the fan speed is to listen to it, because the temp sensor is actually in the fan, and tells the board to increase the fan voltage when it senses warmer air.

• way2fast106 wrote:
    You are right, that program dener recommended won't work.  Dell PCs do lack temp sensors on the CPU/motherboard.  The only way to monitor the fan speed is to listen to it, because the temp sensor is actually in the fan, and tells the board to increase the fan voltage when it senses warmer air.

He asked for a Fan monitor, not a CPU temperature sensor. Why you need to list to the fan if you can see how many RPM´s its doing?

My Dimension 5150 normally runs at 880 rpms, you can see this info with SpeedFan if you configure it for Dell correctly.
  • speedfan will atleast give you an idea the temperature inside the case is... i use it on my 2400 to monitor the hardrive temp.

Dimension 2350
    intel celeron 2.2ghz, 512mb of ram, 30gb hardrive

Dimension 2400 (modified cooling system) check it out www.geocities.com/ravipcplanet/
    Intel celeron 2.60ghz, 1GB of ram, 80gb hardrive

• The others are correct, this only covers the Hard Drives but it does let me manually increase the fan speed which is some help.  Thanks for your help.  I may consider buying a sensor and installing it in my Desktop.  I have a 4300 P4 2.8Mhz 400FSB, 1 Gig Ram, 2 HD's(1 - 40 Gig, 1 - 80 Gig), and a Radeon X800XL videos card and I need to keep it cool and monitored. 

Thanks folks.  I did not realize that Dell doesn't put a heat sensor on the motherboard, that makes we want to re-think my pc buying next time.  I think trhat is a very important item to include.

• old_bubba wrote:
    I may consider buying a sensor and installing it in my Desktop.

I didn't know this was possible. I'm considering replacing my motherboard with one from an 8300. How hard would it be to install a CPU monitoring sensor?