blue screen of death: BAD POOL CALLER

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

blue screen of death: BAD POOL CALLER

• I left my dell XPS 600 on today and when I got back from work I saw the blue screen of death with BAD POOL CALLER.

Anyone else experience this? It has happened a few times already.

• justinjoylife,

What is the complete error message?

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• I had it just yesterday... I have had several BSOD's but the bad pool caller only happned once so far.
  • You both need to write down the complete BSOD so we can know where to start troubleshooting.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Is this your error message?

MS has some info on troubleshooting this error at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314492/EN-US/

Dave

• I started getting BSOD about 3 times per day beginning about 3 weeks ago on my Dell Inspiron 600m with Windows XP Personal OS. Sometimes occurs by itself, without manual clicks.

On one occassion I got a BAD_POOL_CALLER error with

STOP (0xC2 (0x7,0xCD4,0x0,0x83B97415)

Three possible changes prior to getting BSOD which might be responsible are:

1. Upgraded Win XP per most recent upgrade. (I upgrade about every 2 months; not auto upgrade)

2. Ran AdAware which removed 81 spyware files

3. Ran McAfee which removed 2 viruses.

Anyone have clue where to look for problem?

• Bartol wrote:

I started getting BSOD about 3 times per day beginning about 3 weeks ago on my Dell Inspiron 600m with Windows XP Personal OS. Sometimes occurs by itself, without manual clicks.

On one occassion I got a BAD_POOL_CALLER error with

STOP (0xC2 (0x7,0xCD4,0x0,0x83B97415)

Three possible changes prior to getting BSOD which might be responsible are:

1. Upgraded Win XP per most recent upgrade. (I upgrade about every 2 months; not auto upgrade)

2. Ran AdAware which removed 81 spyware files

3. Ran McAfee which removed 2 viruses.

Anyone have clue where to look for problem?

It could be that a system file which is only used periodically may have been infected with a virus, and was removed. The actual blue screen might refer to a file name. If so, you will typically see this near the bottom of the blue screen message, near where you see "Technical Infomation". The photo in this post does not have a file name, but sometimes they will appear on a BSOD.

Unfotunately troubleshooting this can be very difficult. As a rule, I generally will reformat when I have an actual virus infection as cleaning up after it can sometimes take longer than a reformat, and still leave the system in a not-so-stable state.
  • I had problems adding a new printer my screen told me to reinstall the windows Xp professional disk, so we did and it got down to 34 minutes left then goes to the blue screen of death and says BAD_POOL_CALLER It tells me to check to see if any new hardware or software is installed correctly. Disable BIOS memory options, and tells me if I need to enter a safe mode press F 8 Technical information : ***STOP: 0x000000c2. (0x00000007, 0x0000CD4, 0x00340045, 0xE2A9A9B4) Begin dump of physical memory Physical memory dump complete Contact your system administrator or technical support group. Is there anyway to save my hard drive, or do I need to purchase a new one
  • Bad Pool Caller, Stop: 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0xD03A0000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Without a fully working DVD drive it makes repairs fairly difficult. That error code can relate to bad RAM, hard disk or even Windows corruption.

I believe the first step to take is get a working DVD drive.  If this is CDRW or DVDR Media you have a bad copy that was Burned at too fast a speed to be reliable.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• How do I do that.? Can dell send a technician out

• Onsite support is not free.  

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.