dimension 3000, bios A01, 2 short beeps

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

dimension 3000, bios A01, 2 short beeps

• Hi, I'm hoping to gain some information that I haven't been able to find yet.

Dimension 3000, 2.6 Celeron/533/333, xphome, 256 MB DDR SDRAM installed

The boot stops right after POST with 2 short beeps. At a Dell website, it said
    to reseat the memory for "2 (or 3) beeps". I reseated it, and also purchaced a new
    DDR 3200 stick of 256.  Still beeps. 

Would having pc3200/400mhz DDR RAm instead of pc2700(333) which is what the system
    actually is, cause a memory error beep ?  I know it won't run at 400, but would this cause 2 beeps ?
    Can someone confirm that ths is a memory issue. A new stick didn't seem to help.
  • Are all the diagnostics LEDs on back of the tower green? If not, look here for the diagnostic codes:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/SM/adtshoot.htm#wp1059100

If it beeps with only new RAM installed, are you sure the new module is compatible with this system? Even if it is compatible, you may have to clear NVRAM so that the system recognizes the change in memory to get it to stop beeping.

* Reboot system and enter the BIOS Setup by pressing F2.
    * Turn on Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and Num Lock.
    * Press ALT+ E then ALT+ F then ALT+ B
    * Exit BIOS Setup and let the system boot

If clearing NVRAM doesn't do it, then with just old RAM installed, boot to the Dell diagnostics (probably F12 before XP loads) and run all the tests.

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 11-28-2005 03:16 PM

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Hi Ron and thank for the reply and links (and the reply in the XP forum).

At your suggestion, I noticed that I have a permanent 3 green and 1 yellow at postition D.  

I checked the boot sequence as it suggested and tried every combination but that didn't work.

On that same web page , it's curious that 2 short beeps aren't even listed in the beep code tables. A memory error has different diagnostic lights that aren't lite.

I'm still not sure why the POST stops at " Primary drive 1 not found". It's booting to Primary drive 0, which I take it to mean the Master on the Primary controller, so why would it want to tell me that there is no Primary Drive 1 ?  (or slave on the primary controller). I've never ran into this on any other computers.    My HD is set to CS and I'm using a CS cable. I tried both mobo controller postions and when I used the secondary position, it just said, Primary drive 0 not found, Primary drive 1 not found, Secondary 1 not found, so Secendary 0 was the hard drive. I disconnected the optical drives for this test.

When booting I also get a temporary yellow at postion A and D, which is also a data cable warning. I tried reseating the floppy cable and I think I'll just have to live with 2 beeps as it doesn't seem to affect any thing.  It just bugs me that I can't fix it !

Thanks again for the great help and any additional answers or suggestions. 

• Botar,  if you have just one the one hard drive connected on the ribbon cable for the Primary IDE connector then make sure it is installed in the Master position on the ribbon cable.  Clear the NVRAM again.  If you still get an error stating "Primary 1 not found"  then go into your BIOS Setup and see if there is an option to set the Primary 1 to Off or disabled.   Regarding the beeps.... have you tried running the Dell Diagnostics on the entire system?  Possibly you have a piece of hardware failing. 

Message Edited by Majestic on 11-29-2005 08:09 AM

•  

Majestic, thanks for the reply, and very pertinent advice. The primary 1 was set to unknown instead of off as you spoke of to check. I had thought that I had checked that early on but I must have overlooked it. No beeps !
    RoHO, thx for the reply and info on clearing the NVRAM. I never did need to do this for this computer, but I'm sure it will be needed in the future.

Just for my information, when you clear NVRAM are you clearing the editable settings in the Bios setup ? 

If you are, do the settings default to preset values ?  

What would be in NVRAM that would make you need to clear it ?
  • Botar, glad to be of assistance.  Here are your other answers......

"Just for my information, when you clear NVRAM are you clearing the editable settings in the Bios setup ?"

"If you are, do the settings default to preset values ?"  

The clearing of the NVRAM will do three things.  First, it erases all previously stored information contained in the NVRAM.  Secondly, it causes the system to redetect all the installed hardware and then stores that information in the NVRAM.  Thirdly it defaults all the BIOS settings back to their factory default values.  In your model's User Guide in the BIOS Setup section it usually will note what the default setting is for each BIOS option.

"What would be in NVRAM that would make you need to clear it ?"

Clearing of the NVRAM is useful in resolving boot up problems where the system has a hard time detecting the installed hardware.  Since the clearing of the NVRAM is safe and harmless, some people like to clear the NVRAM after each BIOS update or after the installation of new hardware.  That way they are sure the information contained in the NVRAM is up-to-date or has no conflicts with a newly installed BIOS version.