Dimension 2400 2.4 Celeron 512MB Very Slow Performance

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dimension 2400 2.4 Celeron 512MB Very Slow Performance

• I bought my wife a Dimension 2400 2.4 Celeron with 256MB RAM from Dell Outlet.  When it arrived, it crashed the first time I booted.  I reinstalled Windows XP Home and it booted fine.

Immediately I noticed that it was SLOOOOOW.  When you start *ANY* program, it takes 10-20 seconds to load.  It appears that it is going to the swap file on the harddrive for everything.

Thinking it was a memory issue, I upgraded her to 512MB RAM.  The problem has still not gone away. 

I have flashed the BIOS, adjusted the swap file size, checked that Windows is recognizing the hardware correctly, everything I can think of short of digging into the individual BIOS settings.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is so slow?  My Athlon 1.2GHz system is absolutely blowing away this system on perfomance.  Is there a diagnostic program I can run or anything else I can check?

Thanks for your help!

• Windows updated with all critical patches?
    Antivirus and firewall software up to date and running in real time at all times?
    Have you swept the system for spyware (www.lavasoftusa.com, security.kolla.de)?
  • It is running Windows XP Home with SP2 and latest updates.

It is using AVG anti-virus with virus definition files updated daily.  It is using the SP2 firewall and is behind a router with an SPI/NAT firewall.

It has been scanned with both SpyBot S&D and SpywareBlaster.  No spyware was detected.

Keep in mind, it was slow immediately after a complete wipe of the machine (fdisk with new MBR) and a completely fresh reinstall of Windows XP Home.  Off the network, with nothing but a fresh clean build, it was still slow.

I have even gone through the services that are running right after the fresh install and shut down everything that is not essential.  Still no effect.  I really am at a point that it must be something hardware/firmware/driver.

Does anyone know where I can get a list of proper BIOS settings to compare?

• PC World Mag stated sometime ago to do the following ( In this order )  when you do a fresh install of windows...Might help

1.  OS install  ( A complete Reformat )
    2.  SP-2 install
    3.  Chip set driver ( Very important ) install
    4.  Video card Driver
    5.  Rest of software, such as your anti virus, word procc, etc
    6.  Defrag
    7.  Disk Clean Up afterwards

Go to this link below, and fill in your computer service tag number and it will direct you to the area where you can look for an update for the BIOS and other downloads for your system

Message Edited by SR45 on 11-24-2004 09:50 AM

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100

• We read the same articles.  :smileyhappy:

• Fresh XP install solves anything :P try running "Spybot Search and Destroy" and running a virus scan throughly, cause you may have some spyware and or viruses in your system slowing ya down.
  • I have done a fresh install.  I have run anti-spyware and anti-virus.  I have even run the Dell Diag from the boot menu and looked for anything.  All come back fine.

I'm I just asking too much of the hardware?  Am I unreasonable for expecting it to boot in under 30 seconds and for an application to load and run in under 5 seconds?  Even other computer I have (all of them slower than this one) brings up apps that fast.  Is the Celeron really that much slower?

• Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, click on the Performance tab and see how much CPU usage. If your getting very much CPU usage at idle, click the Processes tab and see what is using the CPU. The P4 Celeron
    are really slow with multi-apps running. They are really slow in 3D applications.
  • Utilization is about 4-5% idle.  It jumps up to between 33% and 55% when an app loads.

Maybe the answer is to upgrade the CPU.  I can pick up a used non-Celeron 2.4 for about $50.

• My system boot in around 38 seconds and sometimes a little longer.

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100