Forums

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

My PC wont let me click on certain links

• (I know that at first this may seem like a problem with the website, but its not. The website works fine for me when using other PCs, but not this one. I believe it must be some kind of setting on my computer that prevents the link I'm talking about from working.)

I'm having a problem with a certain kind of link. With most links, you click them and they take you some where, but when I click this button (link) at this website, it is not responding. Go to this website to see what I'm talking about(please!):
    http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/board?board.id=basic_video

Once you get to the website, you'll see the buttons I'm talking about. They are the "New Message" "Board Options" and "Next Page" buttons. They don't respond to me clicking on them in any way. Also there is a drop down menu on the right that says "Go To." When I click on it, the menu drops down, but when I click on a location (such as "General Games Discussion") it doesn't respond. [Hundreds of people use this website forum every minute and they have no problems like this, so its not the site.....]

(Also, this may or may not help. When I right click on one of the 'buttons', instead of it saying "Open," "Open in a New Window" ect., like most links do, it acts as if I clicked on the page and not the link. It says things like "Save Background As" just like if you click on a website where there is no link).

I have tried talking the the system administrator of the website and he can't help me. Dell has made suggestions through email, but nothing they've suggested has worked so far (such as changing my cookie settings). If you guys can think of ANYTHING that can help me, PLEASE let me know. Thanks a million,

-Dustin
  • Are you running a 'popup stopper'? If so, disable it and try that site again.
  • If you haven't got JAVA installed you could try that

It will be listed in Add/Remove programs if you have it.

http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp

You could also try going to Internet options/ advanced and click on default options to make sure you haven't changed something you need.

• Thanks to you both for replying. It's not a pop up blocker, I know that much. As for the suggestion that it may be that I need to download Java, I checked my Add/Remove programs like you suggested and saw that I have this program: Java 2 Runtime Environment SE V.1.2.4
    Is that what you were talking about? Or is it something different?

Thanks for your help so far,

-Dustin

• Go to tools--internet options--
    Click on the "Security" tab.

Make sure the setting for "Internet" is "Default Level"

Or, in custom, make sure active scripting is enabled.

Check to make sure the sites you are having problems with are not in the "Restricted" zone. Remove them if you need to.

Hope this helps.

• msil217 wrote:
    Go to tools--internet options--
    Click on the "Security" tab.

Make sure the setting for "Internet" is "Default Level"

Or, in custom, make sure active scripting is enabled.

Check to make sure the sites you are having problems with are not in the "Restricted" zone. Remove them if you need to.

Hope this helps.

It's already on "Default Level' and I don't have any sites in the restricted zone. It's such a weird problem, I wish I understood what it was. Thanks for the help anyway though.