My Floppy Disk Drive wont work!

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

My Floppy Disk Drive wont work!

• My floppy disk drive, doesnt register that the floppy disk is in the slot.  Recently I had a disk stick but was able to remove it from the system but after words i was able to use the drive without difficulty, and then when I tried to format a disk the drive would no longer register that the disk was there.  The disks will go into the slot but when I go to my computer and double click it says to insert a disk into drive A:.  I want to know if there is anything i can do without having to send my CPU back( which by now would be the third time we would have to send one back) and I really cant afford to be without a computer and floppy disk drive because of work. M y warranty is still good so I can topen the system and mess with things but if you have any information on anything else I could possibly do I would greatly appreciate it.

• Right click on my computer click properties then click hardware there will be a bar that says device manager click it. There you can click on floppy drive to check it's status and possibly fix it. This is for windows XP. I believe windows 98 is right click my computer then properties then device manager.
  • You said a disk was stuck in the drive, but you were able to remove it.  Sounds like there may be some mechanical damage to the drive.  Since the system is under warranty, have Dell send you another drive.

Donald Kempf

Inspiron E1505 /XPS 10 Windows 8

Dimension 8400 Windows XP/Vista/8

#IWork4Dell