Is it safe to lay my tower computer on its side? - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

Is it safe to lay my tower computer on its side?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Is it safe to lay my tower computer on its side?

• I have a Dell 4100 and am trying to figure out if it's ok to lay it on its side while it is operating (basically, 24/7). Does this harm the computer at all?

Thanks

• I wouldn't because IDE cables and power connectors may come in contact with the fan. Also cards may come loose.

-Willy

Dimension 4100
    Pentium III - 933mhz
    40GB 7200rpm HD (master)
    20GB 5400rpm HD (slave)
    512 RAM
    24x CD/DVD-ROM
    32/10/24 VeloCD TDK CD-RW
  • It's not really recommanded, but if you do, lay it on it's right side, as it would be less harmful than on the left side.

• As soon as everything is attached firmly (cards cables fans etc.) you may lay it upside down if you want (it wouldn't affect anyhting - maybe just CD-ROM :) )

• Right. We hang ours in a wire vegetable basket, from the ceiling, on its side. Doesn't seem to bother anything. Except the monkey inside.
    He doesn't like onions.

Devil Woman

• you would be better off if you laid on your side....only kidding!!

dimension 8100 256mb PC800RDRAM 40GB UltraATA Hard Drive Windows XP................thank you very much
  • y do that /? can you let us no is killing me

• What is THIS, the comedy show or something??!!

dpfarquard,

First of all, WHY would you want to lay your PC tower on its side??

I also have a 4100, and unless you're trying to conserve space or something, I would leave it upright, as that's why Dell made it that way.

Any MORE questions?

Sam