power drain - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

power drain

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

power drain

• last couple of days my computer would go black every now and then and i would have to power off and power on..yesterday that didnt work and when i looked at diagnostic lites on back on the dimension 4500

b and d were yellow and a and c green..  for once i got tech help(in India) that was able to help me.

evidently there was a power drain...

last week i got an audigy 2nx external usb sound card...i'm wondering if that caused power drain and if so is it better to just plug it in when i need soound rather than leave connected all the time?

thanks

• I wouldn't think that would cause the "power drain" from the system.  Unplug it and run for a day or two (or however long it takes for the "power drain" and see if disconnecting the unit fixed the problem.  If it does, consider getting a "powered" USB hub (one that has it's own power supply for the USB ports rather than taking power from the PC).

Message Edited by fireberd on 12-17-2003 01:31 PM

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with ASRock Z77 Professional, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 10 64 bit Pro. SSD drive.  Sonar Platinum Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• how does powered usb hub work?  i had a belkin usb hub once..dont think it was a powered hub
  • A "powered" hub has it's own power supply and supplies power to the USB devices instead of using the PC's system power for the USB devices.

There are also "non-powered" hubs, which probably what you had, and they use the power from PC.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with ASRock Z77 Professional, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 10 64 bit Pro. SSD drive.  Sonar Platinum Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.