Help on restart

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Help on restart

This question is not answered

Does anyone out there know how to erase all on Dell PC, so I can restart with factory disk ((Drivers and Utilities--- Dell Photo All-in-one Printer) not worried about saving any files or photos,  It is a Windows XP ( I know there will be no more support in 2 months for XP). just need to restart from scrath. When I put disk in C: nothing happens.  Please Help

Ricky J Dupre

All Replies
  • The Win XP Disc is a Dell reinstallation Disc with SP1, and the same version as factory installed. There are 2 Beeps in burst (only) at start up. all Peripherals are disconnected except the one you mentioned above. The board tests good with system diagnostics.

Ricky J Dupre

• Question: The day you had me reset the computer board, When I moved the pin from 1&2 to 2&3, was I supposed to plug the computer back in to 110 volts when it was on 2&3, or did it clear with the battery? Just checking because I did NOT replug it to 110 volts for the 5 seconds ( I went 2 minutes).

Ricky J Dupre

• RJD1234
    Question: The day you had me reset the computer board, When I moved the pin from 1&2 to 2&3, was I supposed to plug the computer back in to 110 volts when it was on 2&3, or did it clear with the battery? Just checking because I did NOT replug it to 110 volts for the 5 seconds ( I went 2 minutes).

RJD1234

No, resetting the BIOS to defaults, has nothing what so ever, to do with the power supply's 110 voltage setting. 

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• No, I'm Sorry you misunderstood what I was asking, I am not asking to reset 110 volt power supply. What I am asking is, after I unplugged the hard drive and removed the pin from 1 & 2 , should have I plugged the hard drive BACK in after I placed the pin on 2 & 3 pins for 5 seconds THEN unplug hard drive to replace the pin back to 1 & 2 to reset BIOS? In the Manual I did not see one way or the other.

Ricky J Dupre

• Also when I try to load the Win XP reinstall disc it goes to a screen that says: File\Boot\BCD status: Oxc00000e9 info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred, What does that mean? and How do I correct this?

Ricky J Dupre

• RJD1234
    No, I'm Sorry you misunderstood what I was asking, I am not asking to reset 110 volt power supply. What I am asking is, after I unplugged the hard drive and removed the pin from 1 & 2 , should have I plugged the hard drive BACK in after I placed the pin on 2 & 3 pins for 5 seconds THEN unplug hard drive to replace the pin back to 1 & 2 to reset BIOS? In the Manual I did not see one way or the other.

RJD1234

Why, was the hard drive 'unplugged'?  

Whenever the BIOS are reset to defaults, all the drives, including the hard drives should remain connected.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• I did not want to fry board, nor did I want to get shocked. But I did redo it. Now I'm getting : File\Boot\BCD status: 0xc00000e9 info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

Ricky J Dupre

• RJD1234
    The Win XP Disc is a Dell reinstallation Disc with SP1, and the same version as factory installed. There are 2 Beeps in burst (only) at start up. all Peripherals are disconnected except the one you mentioned above. The board tests good with system diagnostics.

RJD1234

Sorry, but 2 Beeps are not a recognize code, see page 22 here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-400_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Dell Diagnostics does not test motherboards, only the components attached/connected to the MoBo,.

The only 100% procedure for checking a motherboard, is to replace it with a Known Working unit.

Motherboard testing is virtually impossible, due to the complexity of  it's components.

Unfortunately, while you can make an informed diagnosis, many times computer troubleshooting is diagnostics by substitution.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• That is all there is-- 2 Beeps--.My daughter is retrieving another set of Windows XP of same version, from Mother in law who purchased her Dell Computer @ same store about 1 month later than she purchased hers. So tomorrow (hopefully) she will bring them over. Is there a way to make sure the cd/dvd will retrieve the info from the cd/dvd (through BIOS) to reinstall all Dell Devices and Windows XP into her computer for proper install?

Ricky J Dupre

• To: shesagordie--------- I have a new set of CD's -- called-- Dell Microsoft Office Suite 2006, supposing, it is the one that came with my daughters Mother-n-laws computer which was purchased at same store same month and same programs that my daughters has. Is this the correct CD's that I need to rework her computer to original status? If so, when I try to plug it in to computer CD tray, it says same thing Error Code 650F:137B ---- IDE+RW/DVD-RW: DVD+RW GSA - H21N. What does all that mean? I am completely unable to read CD/DVD. I would like to reinstall all Dell Drivers back to original State of factory, But I don't know how or what to type in Bios. Or, even how to get back to Bios on her computer at the point, Please assist .

Ricky J Dupre

• There is no such thing as "Dell Microsoft Office Suite 2006"

These would not be bootable or OS disks.

BCD status: 0xc00000e9 

This indicates a Bad Drive.

No amount of re-formatting is going to repair a physically bad drive.

The 2 beeps are black screen of death.

This particular line of errors though comes from windows VISTA ,7 or higher not XP.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• This is what the box says "Microsoft Dell ----Microsoft Works Suite 2006" even have Her product key #. And also Her computer version is Windows XP, also have the Drivers and Utilities Disk. Never seen BCD Status: oxcoooooe9 error screen. but have seen "Loading PBR for descriptor 2...done. " with "_" flashing underneath, but not able to type anything onto the black screen. So, what does all this indicate?

Ricky J Dupre

• OP, it's not quite clear what you want to do. Do you want to repair or reinstall Office, or completely start again and lose all your data by restoring xp to factory settings?

If it's the latter you may still have your recovery partition intact so on booting up press Ctrl + F11 (this is the combination on my Dell) to give you options. The other way is to reinstall xp from cd.

Did you take the advice to put in cd and on booting up press F12 which gives you 2 options to boot from hard drive of cd rom. You use the arrow keys to navigate and press any key.

I hope this helps.

• I want to completely start again and lose all my data by restoring xp to factory settings. I tried booting up pressing Ctrl + F11 (this is the combination on my Dell) to give me options, but does not happen. I did take the advice to put in cd and on booting up press F12 which gives you 2 options to boot from hard drive of cd rom, that did not work either. Sheagordie has been assisting me, and doing great job. I am trying to restore my daughters computer from the hard drive itself from Bios, but when I try, I don't really know How. I need to restore from Hard Drive, because the CD/DVD driver is not reading or writing anything. I think I deleted it by mistake, but I know if I restore the Dell drives from hard drive it will be restored. So what I am saying, I guess, is I need assistance in restoring through the Bios, (if I am saying this right). You may have to go back and read what Sheagordie and I have been attempting so far. On the Ctrl + F11 screen it says Drive 1,2,& 3 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-1, -2, & -3 respectfully, and Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave), floppy diskette seek failure. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility. With " __ " flashing below that (but I cannot type anything onto screen???? Your help or shesagordie's return, or anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. From what I see my IDE master or slave is not operating at all, I had to have disabled it some how. Computer will not read CD or DVD, It just goes to black screen with (Loading PBR for descriptor2...done.) then on next line ( __ ) flashing. Then it will not allow me to type anything on to screen????

Ricky J Dupre

• I think what I need to do is reinstall my IDE CD/DVD controller. But I don't have the Dell drivers to do what ever I need to do to proceed with this. All I get is the screens described in earlier Texts. Can someone continue with this Help Forum. I was communicating with "shesagordie" , but unable reconnect with that person. Please Help. I checked all connections and wiring, all is OK.

Ricky J Dupre