Dell Optiplex 760 Diagnostic Lights Flashing - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

Dell Optiplex 760 Diagnostic Lights Flashing

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Optiplex 760 Diagnostic Lights Flashing

This question has been answered by RoHe

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with my Dell Optiplex 760. I have tried unplugging and replugging all of the connectors from the motherboard and I have also tried removing and reinserting the RAM. However, the problem is still apparent. When I plug the computer to a power source (have tried UPS, surge protector, and directly to a wall outlet) and press the power button, the power button flashes amber and the numbers 1 and 3 flash in green on the front of the computer. Does anybody know what's going on or have any suggestions? Thank you. 

Verified Answer
  • Manual (page 162) doesn't say anything about the LEDs flashing, but a blinking amber power button with LEDs 1&3:

A possible motherboard, powersupply, or peripheral failure has occurred. 

• Power off computer, leaving the computer plugged in. Press and hold the power supply test button on the back of the power supply unit.
    • If the power supply diagnostic light next to the switch illuminates, the problem may be with your system board.
    • If the power supply diagnostic light next to the switch does not illuminate, disconnect all internal and external peripherals, and press and hold the power supply test button.
    • If it illuminates, there could be a problem with a peripheral.
    • If the power supply diagnostic light still does not illuminate, disconnect the power supply from the system board, then press and hold the power supply button.
    • If the light illuminates, there could be a problem with the system board.
    • If the power supply diagnostic light still does not illuminate, the problem is probably with the power supply.

If this answers your question, please click  Yes

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

All Replies
  • Manual (page 162) doesn't say anything about the LEDs flashing, but a blinking amber power button with LEDs 1&3:

A possible motherboard, powersupply, or peripheral failure has occurred. 

• Power off computer, leaving the computer plugged in. Press and hold the power supply test button on the back of the power supply unit.
    • If the power supply diagnostic light next to the switch illuminates, the problem may be with your system board.
    • If the power supply diagnostic light next to the switch does not illuminate, disconnect all internal and external peripherals, and press and hold the power supply test button.
    • If it illuminates, there could be a problem with a peripheral.
    • If the power supply diagnostic light still does not illuminate, disconnect the power supply from the system board, then press and hold the power supply button.
    • If the light illuminates, there could be a problem with the system board.
    • If the power supply diagnostic light still does not illuminate, the problem is probably with the power supply.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Hello UsvartJ,

Ron has provided an awesome step by step troubleshooting for testing the power supply and motherboard.  If you need a video, here is youtube link that walks you through the process:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19534032/20480041.aspx#20480041

Please let us know if you run into any difficulty.
    ~Maureen
    #iwork4dell

DELL-Maureen F

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro
    Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• We are having problems with about 4 760s, SFF. Blinking Amber power button, LED's 1&3 are blinking as well. Have replaced psu, checked with known good front panel, etc. I don't see a link to the youtube video, but we are starting to have lots of problems with these.

• I pinged my Dell tech contacts and they're going to look into this problem.

Stay tuned...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Thanks. anxious to see what they say.. I know we've had several problems prior to just the power supplies..

• I have a Dell OptiPlex 760 that was not getting past the initial power up. Flashing Amber power light, diagnostic lights 2 3 and 4 lit and no POST. After much head scratching I purchased and installed an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 in the LGA 775 socket. This time the power light was green but the diagnostic lights 1 and 3 were on. I had installed PC2-4200 RAM. When I replaced these with PC2-6400 the system booted right up. I had also purchased a new motherboard on Ebay (for $17) which I will now store in case I need it in the future.
  • Hi, 

I had the same problem with 2 PC's. Blinking Amber Light (Start Button) & 1,3 Green Lights.

I solved the problem by replacing the SMPS.