HELP CAN'T INSTALL UPDATES FOR DIMENSION 4500

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

HELP CAN'T INSTALL UPDATES FOR DIMENSION 4500

This question is not answered

I installed Windows XP SP3 for an elderly gentleman and Windows Updates won't function. I simply get the green bar that continually runs.  The error message is: The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.  I have tried suggestions from various sites; too many to  count and nothing has worked!  I installed several programs with no problem; the hardware is in good shape so everything else is running smoothly.  I even installed IE7 hoping that would solve the problem but to no avail.  If ANYONE can help me resolve this issue I would be most appreciative.  After 2 days of this mess, it would be helpful if someone had encountered this very same problem and knew EXACTLY HOW TO FIX IT.  Will check-in tomorrow when I get home from work hoping that someone has come to my rescue and saved my bacon.DevilSad  I have never seen anything like this!
All Replies
  • Nope.    Read about this program but don't know if it's a good idea:  http://autopatcher.soft32.com/  I can't believe after 3 days I'm still fighting this battle.

• After running command prompts, green bar just runs.  Let me know if someone has a workable solution; I can't keep spinning my wheels. Thanks!

• I started up an XP install that hadn't been used in years, and it was a very long time before the updates showed up. It seemed that the updater was stuck, but eventually the updates began installing.

This install of XP hadn't been used in three or four years, and there were well over a hundred updates to be discovered, downloaded and installed.

• I'll let it run for a while.  If there was a real problem I should have gotten an error message I guess

• Hopefully it will help -- please let us know either way if it worked or did not.

• Will do and thanks again!  Maybe someone will se this post and have some ideas.

•  Still trying

• ssheperd

I installed Windows XP SP3 for an elderly gentleman and Windows Updates won't function. I simply get the green bar that continually runs.  The error message is: The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.  I have tried suggestions from various sites; too many to  count and nothing has worked!  I installed several programs with no problem; the hardware is in good shape so everything else is running smoothly.  I even installed IE7 hoping that would solve the problem but to no avail.  If ANYONE can help me resolve this issue I would be most appreciative.  After 2 days of this mess, it would be helpful if someone had encountered this very same problem and knew EXACTLY HOW TO FIX IT.  Will check-in tomorrow when I get home from work hoping that someone has come to my rescue and saved my bacon.DevilSad  I have never seen anything like this!

I went through this about 2 weeks ago with a used laptop that I bought used on eBay. It had XP license.

After the XP install, the laptop sat there forever trying to do Windows Update.

I had to download and install IE8. IE7 didn't seem to work with the Windows Update website.

I downloaded and installed .NET Client Framework 3.5

I downloaded the latest Windows Update Agent.

See if the above works for you.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• will give it a try and thanks! Big Smile

• Still no luck.  How can I install updates manually or install them without using IE.  Some instruction would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• Forgot to mention, updates are now trying to download but the green bar just scrolls.   I let the update page run for over an hour!

• If you want, I could remote in via Remote Assistance.

Alternatively, you can download and install updates manually from Microsoft's download site. Perhaps one of them will fix this problem.

• ssheperd

Still no luck.  How can I install updates manually or install them without using IE.  Some instruction would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Windows Update works only with IE.

Which is why you need to update to IE8 as one of the prerequisites to get Windows Updates to work again.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• Window Update has its own UI, which can be launched from an icon in the System Tray.

I notice on my XP install that the Windows Updates take a very long time to download; a yellow shield icon with an exclamation mark shows in the System Tray, and on hover (with the mouse cursor) the percentage of the updates downloaded is shown. And that doesn't change very quickly.

• It seems that for the last year or so, updating XP has been funky, in particular a new install (including XP Mode). The last time, early this year, I reinstalled a Dell Dimension 2400 that was given (or should I say "dumped off") on me, it was a royal pain to get updates going.

Started with the Windows Update Agent, tried many published tricks to get it to update to no avail. Finally I set the Automatic Updates to download & let me install, then left it on for several hours. Came back, there were over 100 updates downloaded & ready to install. I then went to the option of turning the PC off, there was a link to click to apply the updates & shut the PC down, so I did that.

Once that was done, the rest of the updating process went fine. This is weird, but on 2 different brands of computers, the Dimension 2400 I mentioned above & a ThinkPad T42, scvhost.exe was causing my CPU to run at 100%. I believe this was the cause of why I couldn't get Windows Update to properly work, it needs some CPU usage of it's own to do it's thing.

So on the ThinkPad T42, to break this scvhost deal, I downloaded & ran the ESET Online Scanner & let it run. It unlocked the 100% stronghold that scvhost had on the CPU & allowed the updates to come through. Being that it's a Windows process, one cannot stop it with the Task Manager & expect Windows to properly run, so I tried what I did above.

The ESET Online Scanner can be found here. For non-IE users, there's a small file to download, open & run.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

This is also a good, free second opinion scanner that finds things that some AV/IS suites misses.

Though this may not be the answer for everyone, it did work for me. Too, MS is trying their best to get us off of XP, For years, updating this OS was problem free, why in the last year is this happening? Note that the scvhost.exe issue has pestered some users for years, this isn't new. But is MS exploiting it to get us off of XP, is what I'm wondering?

EDIT: Read this post, it may provide some insight of the issue.

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_fix_this_high_cpu_usage_svchost_virus_or_whatever_it_is.html

Cat

Proud Dell owner since 2003, beginning with the Dell Latitude C640.

System Specs, as provided by Speccy (Updated on 12/13/2014)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/PreVyQa1AM7jyZbU6BBTV1O