Dell XPS 8700 freezes

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell XPS 8700 freezes

This question is not answered

Hello. I received a brand new Dell xps the other day. I did pay for the windows 7 downgrade. It froze up after initial startup so I performed a cold reboot. At this point i had not installed anything on the pc. I have since installed a few programs and personal files. I'm still experiencing multiple freezes a day. This morning it froze up 3 times. Yesterday it froze at least 5 times. I thought that it was my external hd and disconnected it but  I've since had 6 freezes. I've ran anti-virus, malaware scan....booted in safe mode to troubleshoot. Nothing sticks out. Is it possible that because of the downgrade from 8 to 7, there could be hardware cor driver issues? Frustrated! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

All Replies
  • From my understanding, there is a portion of the disk that is partitioned with a copy of the OS. I may be wrong about that but I'm almost positive I read that when trying to find a solution to my problem.  I dunno, considering that it sounds like a software problem, I wonder if it would be wise to use anything on the PC? Can anyone give you a disk to borrow? From a friend perhaps? You'd have to also figure out the product ID too. Maybe Dell could provide you with that. Or maybe generate an official call to the techs. I wonder if they might be able to help you as it's under a 1yr warranty at a minimum.

• Yeah I did some research. I'm going to get the disc, and I'm most likely going to have to boot fresh as well. Hopefully that will get rid of the problem.

• Hello everybody,

I'm also (still) expericiencing the same freezing issues as others in this post, with a few differences. Since sept 3rd I have a Dells XPS 8700 with windows 8. I've been trying a lot of things that others suggested on the web, alas with no succes: bios upgraded to A03, installing all the latest drivers, the 'dynamic ticks' solution ("bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes") and the power settings option (indonetworksecurity.com/.../solution-windows-8-frequently-hang-freeze-without-a-cause.htm), reinstalling (3 times) to the original image using True Image.

The freezing is random in time but happens all the time: after a few hours, after using ordinary programs for a while (e.g. microsoft word). I found out it crashes every single time when starting "My Dell" (also after deinstall en reinstalling a from the Dell site downloaded version).

Please help.

• Hi thejedigoddess,

I apologize about the experience you've had with your computer. I hope that everything is working good now after re-installing the operating system. Would request you to keep the computer under observation. Let me know if you come across any issues.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• Hi irunthepeg,

Allow me to apologize for any frustration or inconvenience that you may have experienced.

Earlier, the factory restore CD’s were shipped out with the system. However, with the newer systems a software called Dell Backup and Recovery or Dell Data Safe is being shipped out. It is a convenient way of restoring the computer back to factory settings and consumes less time. Please see this video http://dell.to/1duA3Rp

Let me know how it goes; will take it further.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• Hi raskal69,

FIrst of all, I would suggest you to run the on-board diagnostics (ignore if already performed). Please refer Run Built-In Diagnostics for Your System

You may also watch this video Diagnose Hardware Issues on Your Dell Computer 

If you suspect that starting My Dell is causing the problem, the please uninstall my Dell from the computer and do not re-install it. Then observe the computer for 2-3 days and share the findings.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• you can burn the Dell recovery CDs from the Dell computer--look in All Programs, Dell folder

• I just formatted my computer and reinstalled Windows 7 and now my computer froze while doing updates.

Okay, an update. After the initial freezing while doing all the updates that come with a fresh install, I've been using my PC for the last 4 or so hours and haven't had a freeze yet so that might have fixed it.

Although I'd suggest someone at Dell looks into this as it could be a big manufacturing issue if this is continuing to happen.

• I have recently bought a xps 8700 and have similar issues, when pc goes to sleep after 30 minutes it crashes when it wakes up. I use Windows 8 Pro.

• Hi irunthepeg,

I hope that everything is working good now after re-installing the operating system. Please keep the computer under observation. Let me know if you come across any issues.

Be rest assured that we are here to provide complete support.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• So I just had it happen again. It hadn't happened since Saturday night when I decided that reinstalling Windows was the way to go. A friend of mine suggested that it's maybe bad RAM but the fact that it's happened to more than just myself makes me doubt that. I've found it happens a lot while I'm using a program called FL Studio to produce music at parts where there is spikes in RAM or while watching Youtube videos. It's never a blue screen of death, it always is a stuttering freeze that never unlocks (it stutters any sound playing at that point).

At this point, I don't know what it is but I want it fixed.

I am doing some research online and finding lots of people with the i7 4770 are having problems, so maybe it's related to the processor.

• Hi antiacid,

I would suggest you to update the video drivers from the following link http://dell.to/18oQcSI, expand Video.

First, download and install Intel Video/Graphics driver. Then check the the discrete card (AMD/Nvidia) shipped with your system and update accordingly.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• Hi irunthepeg,

This is really strange. I did try to search on the net regarding the processor but didn't find anything. I would suggest you to re-seat the memory modules and the graphics card once and see if is makes any difference. Here the service manual http://bit.ly/12kXKAS

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell

• Okay this is ridiculous already. It's still happening, usually when I have two-three programs running and this is not acceptable. I want a number to contact already because I want this computer returned and I want something that works and that has Windows 7.

• Hi irunthepeg,

Please provide the service tag of the computer and the first and last name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Send a Private Message); will proceed further.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell