XPS One 2720 display keeps off after standby

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS One 2720 display keeps off after standby

This question is not answered

Hi,

I've the new system XPS 2720 (Haswell i5 CPU) now some days. When the system is coming up from deep standby the main display doesn't switch on. A second monitor on the HDMI port is on immadiately. I recognised this problem also on another system, but this was replaces because of a scatch in the display.

I've done the BIOS Update from July and updated to the latest drivers. The problem still exists.

What can I do?

Regards
Martin

All Replies
  • Hi Martin,

Please let us know which monitor and video connection that you are using. Also, kindly set the system to single display and then check if the issue persists there.

As, it is working fine with a different Monitor it seems an issue with the Monitor only. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

• Hi,

the problem also exists if no second monitor is connected. Anyway, it needs ~2 minutes then also the main Display of this AIO switches on. But if it takes so long to come back from energy saving mode this mode couldn't been used, it is mutch quicker to reboot ;-)

Regards
    Martin

• Hi Martin,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. Kindly disconnect any USB devices connected to the system and then check again.

Please run the SFC tool to rectify any windows related issue. Follow the link below for the same:

support.microsoft.com/.../929833

Also, let us know if this issue started recently after installing any recent updates. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

• Thank you for the hint.

I tried this now with no USB device connected and it doesn't help. The SFC Tool does't tell me any problem with Windows. What I've also recognised is, that the touchpanel (the 4 Buttons on the bottom right) doesn't work after the PC goes to energy save mode and comes back. Also reboot doesn't fix this. Only switching off the PC helps for this problem.

Regards
    Martin 

• Hi Martin,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. Please let us know if you have updated to the latest video card driver on the system.

Let us know the model number video card along with version of Windows installed on the system. Please let us know how much time does it take for the system to come back from sleep mode.

Check this link below for performing system restore if system worked fine earlier:

http://dell.to/10AJXGY

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

• Hi, sorry, I thought you know all this.

Everything is build in (Intel 4600, Nvidia GT750).

Intel Driver Version: 9.18.10.3165, A01 (11th of July)

Nvidia Driver Version: 9.18.13.1100, A00 (4th of June)

The link you send me is for Window 7, this system is delivered with Windows 8. Anyway I recognised this also at the time as it was brand new, nothing else installed. As I mentioned in my first post, I've hat another system that has been replaced because of a scratch on the display wih the same issue.

The main monitor needs 45-60 seconds to come back. The second monitor is available after 2 seconds.

Regards

Martin

• Hi Martin,

Thanks for providing us this information. Its great to know video card drivers are updated on the system. Please update the BIOS and Chipset of the from the link below:

BIOS

http://dell.to/18zePNK

Chipset

http://dell.to/18CprPn

Please perform these steps and let us know the results, so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

• Hi,

as mentioned in my first post, all driver and also the BIOS are updated. The Post is from 12th of July! So everything has the versions you suggested.

Regards

Martin

• Hi Martin,

I understand that you have already updated the BIOS and other drivers. However, we wanted to be sure as there were 3 recent updates on BIOS.

It seems LCD of the system would require replacement as external monitor works fine.

Please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell

• Martin - have you tried changing any of the settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel? If not, see if changing the settings to giving preference to the NVIDIA graphics card as the primary display adapter helps. It may be that the system is having trouble resuming from sleep due to one of the display drivers (Intel or NVIDIA).

In the NVIDIA Control Panel, instead of "Let the 3D Application Decide" choose the middle option to manage the 3D setings yourself. On the "Manage 3D Settings" page, you may see a drop-down menu on the "Global" tab near the top of the page. Change the option to the "High performance" option. In the list of settings, look for the "Power management mode" and change that from "Adaptive" to "Prefer high performance" option.

Also try changing power management settings in the Intel Graphics Control Panel to prefer performance over power savings.

If those settings don't help, you may want to try updating the system with reference display drivers available from the Intel Download Center and NVIDIA.  

Not sure this will help, but it is worth exploring a few thing before looking for a hardware replacement solution. You may need a new display, but there is no harm in trying a few more things first. Problems resuming from sleep/standby can often be frustrating to troubleshoot. They are often (not always) driver or power management related. The external display may be more aggressive in signaling the system that it is connected and ready to go.

If this suggestion answers your question or leads to a solution, please click the green "Yes" button in the bottom of this post. _________________________________________________________________________________________

Alienware M18xR2 | 3920XM | GTX 780M SLI | Dual 330W AC Adapter
    32GB 2133 | 512GB SSD RAID0 | 4TB HDD RAID0 | 250GB mSATA
    Dual Boot: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows 8.1.1 Pro x64 
    Benchmark Results

Alienware M18xR1 | Alienware M17xR2 | XPS 15 L521x | Inspiron M5030 | Inspiron 15 | Inspiron 910 [Mini 9]

• Hi, thank you for the hints. This does make sense for me, but it doesn't help. I can not install the original Nvidia Driver. I tried this through controlpanel and Setup. The Setup told me that I'vent got a compatibe graphic card installed. Anyway, I disabled the nvidia device but It doesn't change the behaviour.

To be honest I don't want to have a new display. I wonder if this would help because I've seen this problem also on another system. I didn't pay attention on this because I know it would been completely replaced by dell.

• I would like to add that this only occurs if the systems was in standby, On the first step, after only the diplay has been switches of everything comes back immadiately,

• Hi Martin,

It doesn't seem like an issue with the video card as external monitor comes up fine from the standby mode. We have replied to you on a private message so kindly provide us with the required details.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
    Sandeep P
    #iworkfordell